Sign in to follow this  
C0D1F1ED

New swShader Demo

C0D1F1ED    452
Grab it here: swShader Project Page. It demonstrates the capabilities of the swShader software renderer as a DirectX 9 compatible DLL. The actual application is an unmodified example from the DirectX 9.0b SDK. So all render calls are handled by this DLL, completely in software. For more information about swShader you can also visit the Main Homepage. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask!

C0D1F1ED    452
Could some people post the FPS they get, and their processor specifications (model, cache, clock speed and FSB speed)? I'm interested to see which are good for this SIMD intensive work. Thanks!

16.28 FPS - Pentium M, 512 kB L2, 1.4 GHz, 533 Mhz FSB

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks guys!

I'm slightly dissapointed with these numbers. But I still have a lot of optimizations up my sleeves. [smile]

Feel free to post more specs. I want to know how the newest processors do...

Reita    122
2.8GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, Mobility Radeon 9000
11-13 frames per second.

Very cool! - I suppose the stencilling part of the sample is a real performance-killer for software rendering.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Stenciling is indeed the biggest bottleneck. Without it, I get over 60 FPS! My newest version will feature many optimizations that should make stenciling more efficient, among other things.

jmutch    397
16-20 fps.

512 ram
amd athlon 2500+
cheapo vid. card

ps, It said it was using pure hardware vertex processing, which surprised me. I didn't think my video card could handle that.

Infinisearch    2964
P3-800
pc133 cas latency 3
radeon 32mb ddr catalyst 4.3
win98se

with stuff open: 6-8fps shadows didn't work
fresh reboot nothing running except norton: 12-13fps
my machine crashed both times, needed to reboot.
maybe because 98se? not worth wasting time on, since i'm looking forward to the new rasterizer. BTW enjoyed the article at the site, great job.

P.S. Nice to see you're back to work instead of arguing with a certain unnamed person on a certain other messageboard.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by jmutch
ps, It said it was using pure hardware vertex processing, which surprised me. I didn't think my video card could handle that.

It's not your video card. [wink]

The software pretends it's a modern graphics card. Because some application explicitely check for 'hardware' vertex processing, it has to advertise this as well. In reality it's 100% software though.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks Infinisearch, I'll check with a similar setup as soon as possible. I think its Windows 98, but can't really find an explanation yet...

C0D1F1ED    452
I have DirectX 9.0b installed too. It doesn't really matter anyway, all I really use is DirectDraw 7.0, which is in the ddraw library. The 3D rendering is completely in software.

jmutch    397
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by jmutch

It's not your video card. [wink]

The software pretends it's a modern graphics card. Because some application explicitely check for 'hardware' vertex processing, it has to advertise this as well. In reality it's 100% software though.

Either way, I've never been able to get pure hardware vertex processing before. (it's always crashed if I tried...)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by jmutch
Either way, I've never been able to get pure hardware vertex processing before. (it's always crashed if I tried...)

I don't think you fully understand what this demo is about. In the package you'll find a d3d9.dll file. This intercepts all the DirectX calls made by the ShadowVolume application (from the 9.0b SDK). All render operations are then handled by this DLL. Your graphics hardware is not used, only your CPU. Colors are directly written to video memory.

So if you request pure hardware vertex processing from this new DLL, it will respond that it is supported. In reality it's still all handled in software, but it does exactly the same operations as the hardware would.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
in windowed mode i get 17-20 fps, in fullscreen 800x600 i only get around 6 fps or less.

run on Athlon 2800XP (which runs at about 2GHz i think), 1GB RAM, Radeon9600.

btw i get an error message upon resizing the window.

Sign in to follow this