New swShader Demo

Started by
16 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
Grab it here: swShader Project Page. It demonstrates the capabilities of the swShader software renderer as a DirectX 9 compatible DLL. The actual application is an unmodified example from the DirectX 9.0b SDK. So all render calls are handled by this DLL, completely in software. For more information about swShader you can also visit the Main Homepage. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask!
Advertisement
Could some people post the FPS they get, and their processor specifications (model, cache, clock speed and FSB speed)? I'm interested to see which are good for this SIMD intensive work. Thanks!

16.28 FPS - Pentium M, 512 kB L2, 1.4 GHz, 533 Mhz FSB
I get around 16FPS on my Athlon 2400+ with 128K L1, 256K L2 cache and 266Mh FSB (at least I think those are correct?)

I'm pretty impressed with swShader and Softwire in general. Good work on these [grin]
well I'm very impressed!
that's gotta be alot of work!
I got something like 10~ fps.
I got P4 1.7Ghz and 640 MB of RAM (400MHZ)
No Soup For You!Come Back 1 Year Later!
Thanks guys!

I'm slightly dissapointed with these numbers. But I still have a lot of optimizations up my sleeves. [smile]

Feel free to post more specs. I want to know how the newest processors do...
2.8ghz athlon at 512mb ram, radeon 9700

I had about 20-35fps, but it would drop to about 15 as I got closer.
2.8GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, Mobility Radeon 9000
11-13 frames per second.

Very cool! - I suppose the stencilling part of the sample is a real performance-killer for software rendering.
Stenciling is indeed the biggest bottleneck. Without it, I get over 60 FPS! My newest version will feature many optimizations that should make stenciling more efficient, among other things.
15FPS on my athlon 2400+, with 512mb RAM and a old ATI Vivo64 card.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
16-20 fps.

512 ram
amd athlon 2500+
cheapo vid. card

ps, It said it was using pure hardware vertex processing, which surprised me. I didn't think my video card could handle that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement