Sign in to follow this  
StonieJ

template question

StonieJ    136
I am trying to write a function that calculates some statistical information for a given array of data. The array can be of either byte, short int, or float data type. I am not good with templates, but I figured it was probably the best way to implement my routine. However, I'm getting compiler errors every time because of some problem with my syntax, so if someone could explain that'd be great.
template <class T>
void CalcStats(T *data, int dataTypeSize, int length)
{
    //  DO STUFF IN HERE
}

int main()
{
    BYTE *byteD = new BYTE[size];
    short int *intD = new short int[size];
    float *floatD = new float[size];

CalcStats(byteD, 1, size);
    CalcStats(intD, 2, size);
    CalcStats(floatD, 4, size);
}

uavfun    744
1) What is the error?
2) Where is size defined? Is it a constant?
3) There is no need for a dataTypeSize parameter, this will only create the possibility for mistakes, problems porting, etc. If you need the size just use sizeof(T)

StonieJ    136
[Linker Error] Unresolved external 'void CalcStats<unsigned char>(unsigned char *, long, int, Statistics *, int)' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\BORLAND\CBUILDER6\PROJECTS\WINBOXER CURRENT\UEMDATA.OBJ

[Linker Error] Unresolved external 'void CalcStats<short>(short *, long, int, Statistics *, int)' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\BORLAND\CBUILDER6\PROJECTS\WINBOXER CURRENT\UEMDATA.OBJ

[Linker Error] Unresolved external 'void CalcStats<float>(float *, long, int, Statistics *, int)' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\BORLAND\CBUILDER6\PROJECTS\WINBOXER CURRENT\UEMDATA.OBJ

You will notice that the function arguments are not the same as in the original post. That is because I was just writing an example earlier. The real function is:

template <class T>
void CalcStats(T *data, long size, int length, Statistics *stats, int dataFormat);

Sandman    2210
Put the implementation of calcstats in the header file, not the cpp file.

Otherwise you need to specifically instantiate versions of CalcStats for each type you want it to operate on, which is generally a bit of a pain.