VOID GenerateTerrain(terrain &plane, D3DVECTOR origin, 
					 DWORD dwGridSize,FLOAT fScale, 
					 float pheight)
{
	int i, j, total, z;

D3DVECTOR *grid;
	grid = new D3DVECTOR[dwGridSize];
	grid = new D3DVECTOR[dwGridSize];

for (i = 0; i[j] = ((D3DVECTOR)(D3DVECTOR(i*fScale, j*fScale, z) + origin)); // error right here!
		}
	}

int index, pos;

plane.TerrainVertices = new D3DVERTEX[((dwGridSize-1)^2)*6];

while (index < dwGridSize * 5)
	{
		plane.TerrainVertices[index] = D3DVERTEX(grid[pos][pos], D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 1), index, index);
		plane.TerrainVertices[index+1] = D3DVERTEX(grid[pos][pos+1], D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 1), index, index+1);
		plane.TerrainVertices[index+2] = D3DVERTEX(grid[pos+1][pos], D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 1), index+1, index);
		plane.TerrainVertices[index+3] = D3DVERTEX(grid[pos+1][pos+1], D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 1), index+1, index+1);
		plane.TerrainVertices[index+4] = D3DVERTEX(grid[pos+1][pos], D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 1), index+1, index);
		plane.TerrainVertices[index+5] = D3DVERTEX(grid[pos][pos+1], D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 1), index, index+1);
		index += 6;
		pos++;
	}

plane.NumTerrainVertices = index;
}

Ok, it gives me this error on the line where i say grid[j] = This is the error: C:\mssdk\samples\Multimedia\D3dim\Arena\CamArena\Utility.cpp(182) : error C2679: binary ''='' : no operator defined which takes a right-hand operand of type ''struct _D3DVECTOR'' (or there is no acceptable conversion) I know what this is caused by - there isnt an overloaded = for doing D3DVECTOR[] =…is there an easy way to fix this, or am i gonna have to rip apart my dx headers? </i>
------------------------------*Large explosion consumes building, hero walks away unharmed* (wtf? why?) CUT
Advertisement
Please? This is the last obstacle in my way to having actual terrain...ive been wrestling with it for days, almost 2 weeks now...
------------------------------*Large explosion consumes building, hero walks away unharmed* (wtf? why?) CUT
Don''t blame me if I''m wrong, but I think you have to put the following line before you include

#define D3D_OVERLOADS
if the above post doesn''t work, maybe switch to D3DXVECTOR3, which I know has overloaded =
Um, ok, i used d3dxvector instead. Odd, now its giving me 8 errors...

Its saying "operator ''['' is ambiguous" on each of my uses of arrays. For instance, it says that grid[j] is ambiguous and that plane.TerrainVertices[index] is also ambiguous. What does this mean?
I had a similar problem. I never figured it out (I know C very well, but not a lot of C++), but I got it working without the macro.

Look at the header file (d3dtypes.h, I believe?). Copy the body of the macro D3DVECTOR directly into your code. So instead of calling the macro, you are doing what the macro does manually in your code.

If you figure it out, let me know.

CP

"Can't you see it's only life! We can laugh about it!" - Seal
Um, ??? I dont exactly get what you're saying. Whats all this about a macro? You mean the preprocessor types (#define)? Or are you talking about overloaded operators?

[MODIFIED]
Ok, I see what you're saying. It still doesnt fix my problem, though. Im currently trying to implement terrain as a class...anyone who has any input feel free to help...

Edited by - Solarbeam on October 5, 2000 7:13:31 PM
Here''s how microsoft does it, why do what''s already been done?

D3DVERTEX* g_pTerrainVertices = NULL;
DWORD g_dwNumTerrainVertices = 0L;
WORD* g_pTerrainIndices = NULL;
DWORD g_dwNumTerrainIndices = 0L;

VOID GenerateTerrainGrid( DWORD dwGridSize, FLOAT fScale )
{
DWORD i, j, ind;

g_dwNumTerrainVertices = dwGridSize * dwGridSize;
g_dwNumTerrainIndices = (dwGridSize-1) * (dwGridSize-1) * 6;
g_pTerrainVertices = new D3DVERTEX[ g_dwNumTerrainVertices ];
g_pTerrainIndices = new WORD[ g_dwNumTerrainIndices ];

for( i=0; i {
for( j=0; j {
FLOAT u = i / (FLOAT)(dwGridSize-1);
FLOAT v = j / (FLOAT)(dwGridSize-1);
FLOAT x = fScale * ( 2*u - 1 );
FLOAT z = fScale * ( 2*v - 1 );

g_pTerrainVertices[i*dwGridSize+j] =
D3DVERTEX( D3DVECTOR(x,0,z), D3DVECTOR(0,1,0), u, v );
}
}

for( i=ind=0; i {
for( j=0; j {
g_pTerrainIndices[ind++] = (WORD)( (i+0)*dwGridSize + (j+0) );
g_pTerrainIndices[ind++] = (WORD)( (i+0)*dwGridSize + (j+1) );
g_pTerrainIndices[ind++] = (WORD)( (i+1)*dwGridSize + (j+0) );
g_pTerrainIndices[ind++] = (WORD)( (i+1)*dwGridSize + (j+0) );
g_pTerrainIndices[ind++] = (WORD)( (i+0)*dwGridSize + (j+1) );
g_pTerrainIndices[ind++] = (WORD)( (i+1)*dwGridSize + (j+1) );
}
}
}
We are here just like this,It really doesn't matter why.The world is here like it is,'We could laugh we could cry.Is it good or is it bad,Wright or maybe wrong?There's no use of being sad,Without a purpose within a song.
I tried to use that, but it didnt seem to work...What the heck are Indices, anyway? The SDK assumes that you know what they are. Also, it seems to require global vars. I tried to adapt it to use this struct:

struct terrain {
D3DVERTEX* g_pTerrainVertices;
DWORD g_dwNumTerrainVertices;
WORD* g_pTerrainIndices;
DWORD g_dwNumTerrainIndices;
}

And i changed the argument list of GenerateTerrainGrid to this:

VOID GenerateTerrainGrid( terrain &plane, DWORD dwGridSize, FLOAT fScale )

I replaced all the references to the global vars to point to plane, but it didnt seem to work. Yes, I used DrawIndexedPrimitive, but it wouldnt draw anything at all.

I really want a routine that can make rough ground; that one cant.

email me and i''ll send you my code for creating a heightmap based terrain (very simple)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement