C++ Compilers?

Started by
6 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, a quick question. I dont use C++ to program stuff, but the things I need (libraries etc) are often just C++ source files, which I cant use. I was wondering if there are any free C++ compilers that could easily do the job for me so that I can compile DLL's and static libs and stuff. Im aware of DevC++ - is it any good? Are there any more good ones? Cheers :)
Advertisement
My favorite is MinGW Developer Studio, over at http://www.parinya.ca/.
Both DevC++ and MinGW Studio use the same compiler (MinGW, the Win32 port of gcc), the only thing that really differs is the IDE (and perhaps some of the extra libraries that come with it). DevC++ comes with a package manager which allows you to download additional stuff for the IDE/compiler, such as a DirectX port to MinGW.

If you just want to compile some C++ code, you could use the VisualC++ Toolkit 2003, which IMHO is a better compiler than MinGW.
Since you mention DLLs, I'll presume you're targetting windows with a language (family) like .Net.

In this case, most of the code you want to compile will probably be targetted at MSVC. You can freely download a toolkit from MS that has only the compilers (no IDE or windows libraries) and then download the platform SDK to get the windows libraries.

You'd have to use the command line to compile, but I think you'll be able to compile the stuff you want to without having to modify the source at all. Last I checked, neither MinGW nor GCC was very compatable with MSVC (because VC code generally uses TONs of MS specific features).

[Edited by - Extrarius on October 1, 2004 10:38:12 AM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Ah thanks for that, I'll take a look.
at the moment microsoft are beta testing visual studio express which gives you the compilers as well as the ide.
Quote:Original post by petewood
at the moment microsoft are beta testing visual studio express which gives you the compilers as well as the ide.
And despite the beta label they are absolutely stable and kick some serious ass.

Dev-C++/Mingw Studio are not even in the same league as Visual Studio in every area - and I say that as a longtime Dev-C++ user. Even little things like multi-project workspaces, working intellisense, and a working visual debugger make life so much easier - and that's just for C++; not to mention the stuff in C#/.Net 2.0.

I still use Dev-C++ to ensure that my code will compile with gcc, but the vast majority of my work is now done with the Visual Studio betas, and I can't imagine going back - but maybe sideways to Eclipse when the CDTs are finished. :)
Quote:Original post by jdhardy
but maybe sideways to Eclipse when the CDTs are finished. :)

They work fine for me, I'm using them - but then again I don't use Intellisense, and it does seem to not work so well with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement