3D modelling for OpenGL

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
May I ask what 3D modelling s/w do you use for your OpenGL games.
Advertisement
MilkShape3D. Very good 3d modeling program for characters, objects, and even worlds sometimes too. Also, it allows you to make custom import and export pluggins so you can create your own model format to export to. Check it out, I heightly recomend it.

-Linolium
The Great and All Powerful Linolium
but how? i mean do you know any tutorial or source code to make a exporter for milkshape or 3dsmax? i am making my own level format, and i will make the editor later. soo i need some tutorials on exporters.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
Quote:Original post by stroma
but how? i mean do you know any tutorial or source code to make a exporter for milkshape or 3dsmax? i am making my own level format, and i will make the editor later. soo i need some tutorials on exporters.

NeHe has some tutorials on how to load MS3D and 3DS files.
yes, there are lots of model load tutorials or codes, i have no problem on loading. i want to export. of coyrse this will be for milkshape or 3dsmax. does anyone know some SDK tutorials about these?
+-+-+-+-+-STR
Actually, making an exporter/importer for Milkshape 3D is pretty simple. There's an SDK somewhere at milkshape's site. Download it, and look at the examples, then write your own.

Good luck.
Milkshape's website, http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/, has links to lots of tutorials for model things using milkshape. Also, as James mentioned, an SDK for milkshape(as VC++ 6.0 workspaces) is downloadable so you can easily make new exporters or import milkshapes ASCII and RAW files into your own project with little trubble.

-Linolium
The Great and All Powerful Linolium
@stroma: If you want to export from 3DS Max, then sparks.discreet.com is what you need to look at. Type "exporter" into the KnowledgeBase search, and the first result returned is "How To Write An Exporter". However, to compile the sample projects in that tutorial, and anything that uses the MaxSDK, you'll need the MaxSDK itself, which you can get here (this is the SDK for version 5, but it works with version 6): ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax51_SDK.exe. Be warned, though: writing an exporter for a tool as complex as 3DS Max is not for the faint of heart (well, it's not that bad [smile]). But you'll need to understand how 3DS Max manages exporters, how it stores it's objects internally, how to access those objects, and how to convert them to your file format.

You might also want to look at Softimage's XSI|FTK. It's a file transfer kit written by Softimage for their XSI file format. The XSI format has importers/exporters for all major 3D modelling software, and it's rather simple to use, once you get into it.

@transcendental: I use 3DS Max 6.
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
thank you very much, i will use milkshape sdk.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
I'll go with MilkShape3D since it only costs US$25.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement