Can't get MIDI Input to work. Please help!

Started by
2 comments, last by yjbrown 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I have an integrated sound card that came with my HP computer. The Windows Update seems to think it's a SoundMAX Digital Audio, but for some reason I had downloaded Avance AC'97 drivers which work so I'm not sure which it is, but that's probably besides the point since both seem to work just as well. The problem here is that I just bought a MIDI adapter cable to connect my Keyboard to my joystick port and I can't seem to get any input from my Keyboard to my computer. The strange thing is MPU-401 is installed and I can use it to output MIDI to my Keyboard so I know the connections are working and the driver is installed. But why doesn't input from the keyboard work? I've tried several test programs and I am getting nothing. I am truly stumped here, please help!
-- Ivyn --
Advertisement
First of all, if you have an integrated card on an hp machine, they should have the drivers you need.

Second, what software are you trying to record MIDI into?
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
I'm not sure where, but you can find a product on the web called ASIOForALL. Basically, it's ASIO drivers for cards that don't support ASIO.

Does your HP have a MIDI port? How are you attaching your keyboard? Is it USB?
Anthony Rufrano
RealityFactory 2 Programmer
Quote:The strange thing is MPU-401 is installed and I can use it to output MIDI to my Keyboard so I know the connections are working and the driver is installed. But why doesn't input from the keyboard work? I've tried several test programs and I am getting nothing. I am truly stumped here, please help!

Check the keyboard settings to ensure that LOCAL is ON!
Also check the MIDI input on your test program is also MPU-401. Sometimes it only selects the Midi OUtput, but not the midi input.

Do you see any MIDI I/O when you press keys on your keyboard in the sequencer LEDs? Does it record any events?

Are you using VST Soft Synths to hear the sound, or are you just using the sequencer to record the midi from the keyboard for playback?
Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement