hplus' NAT article!

Started by
9 comments, last by Gizz 19 years, 6 months ago
Would it be stupid to ask if it could be put on GDNet? (Book excerpt, maybe) I think it's the most common problem nowadays where everyone has ADSL routers..
Advertisement
What a odd question to ask in public? I assume that hplus has written some article and posted on another site that you have found? Well what if he dosn't want the gamedev community to see it and would say no, than everyone would look it up themsevles anyway, surely u figured that out? So why didn't u ask him in a private msg if you cared about the awnser?
He's talking about http://www.mindcontrol.org/~hplus/nat-punch.html. It's pointed at by the FAQ of this very forum :-) However, the writing is really crude -- a much nicer write-up will go in as a chapter of Game Programming Gems 5. Meanwhile, I don't particularly feel like re-writing the same thing a third time (to clean it up for GD.net) so I think it stays where it is.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Actually, I am talking about thát article! The one that will be in GPG5.
Sorry, the publisher has the rights to that, and I can't give it away. I could check whether they'd be willing to preview it once the book gets closer to completion, but don't hold your breath.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Ooh, Nice. Any idea when GPG5 is out? I've got 1-4, and they're awesome...
GDC 2005.

And if everything stay as it is, there should be more articles in the Networking section than in the previous edition [grin]

Gizz
Yeah, including mine :) ("Secure by Design"). There are, um, only a few more this year than last year, but (fingers crossed) I think they are a much more useful selection than in GPG4 (plug, plug ;)). I was a bit depressed by last year's (GPG4) networking section - mainly because it was small (fair enough, publisher being careful with a new section) but felt a bit let-down by some of the articles compared to what I'd been expecting from having read the titles 12 months before.

So, hopefully, 5 is going to be much better for networking. I've had one person tell me they "bought the book" (GPG4) for my networking gem in it, so I'm guessing that a nice fat networking section would be pretty popular (although obviously not as popular as the OpenGL ones that most people seem to buy the books for). (NB: the person was probably just being kind to me :) although it felt good to get that kind of response after slaving away on the gem for so long...especially seeing as even today we still haven't received any royalty checks yet! ;))

*wonders why the different authors in each section never talk to each other, despite having each other's email addresses*
PS someone offered me $10 for the text of my gem from last year, although no-one's asked for it to be put on-line yet. Tragically, I worked out that this would have been a massive profit compared to the royalties I would get if they bought a full-price copy of the book :).
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
PS someone offered me $10 for the text of my gem from last year, although no-one's asked for it to be put on-line yet. Tragically, I worked out that this would have been a massive profit compared to the royalties I would get if they bought a full-price copy of the book :).

[lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement