Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a2k

640k conventional memory

a2k    124
i''m running win98se, and noticed that my conventional memory was 636k, or 637k, or 638k, but not 640k. as of today. i could have sworn that i''ve seen 640k in the past. does this mean i have a virus on my system? or is this less than 640k normal for win98? a2k

Esap1    122
Well, on my 2000 system Im never below 48megs, but thats probally just Win 2000, still, I dont think 98 can run on only 640k, also, lots of programs dont free up there memory properly and over time, its amazing how much u can lose, thats why rebooting every so often is good, inless ur in Linux, then u dont need toj/k

Bigshot    122
I only have 601KB of conventional memory free. Oh, I remember the days when I had to run memmaker to get a boost in convential memory. Now conventional memory doesn''t mean crap unless you''re running some old crappie 16-bit DOS game.

Alex
bigshot@austin.rr.com

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Lucasdg    122
Win98 can''t run on 640k. A few questions: Does your BIOS tell you this or Win98? Do you mean 640k as in total memory or free memory?

The way I interpret it is your BIOS says you have only 640k of RAM. If Windows still runs then thats very strange. If your system holts then your RAM is not in properly or screwed.

Lucas

JonStelly    127
Hehe, damn all of you kids that didn''t have to deal with Conventional Memory! =p

a2k, download some sort of virus scan program. I''m not sure where you''re checking your total conventional memory, but it''s possible it''s a virus, or it might be a property of that specific DOS prompt / shortcut configuration.

maketty    122
Remember in 83-84 there were such cool pcs! There was the IBM televideo Pc with its'' staggering 128k ram! Then there was the TI PC that had more software "Cartridges" Then any other home computer in the world!!!

Matthew Fitzgerald (Maketty),
Knightvision Games

maketty    122
Alright Input Output Fission you posted after me without laughing at the old 80s computers! That deserves a broken knee cap!

Matthew Fitzgerald (Maketty),
Knightvision Games

a2k    124
actually, i already scanned it with mcafee. and i even resorted to editing the config.sys to add the dos high, umb lines, and the himem.sys lines. nothing. i just thought that it was odd to see anything BUT 640k under TOTAL conventional memory.

i checked it in my dos prompt (and even on bootup, command prompt only), and even from a boot disk, a CLEAN boot disk. that seemed to free up 2k, but with normal boot, it was back to 636k. and under safe mode, it was the same 636k.

reason why i was curious is that today, i had downloaded a "song" with a wma extension, but realized it too late. i wanted to delete it, but it said "access denied" and no, i WASN''T playing it in winamp when i tried to delete it, nor was it paused. i tried to move it, rename it, place it in the recycle bin, and i even tried to winzip it and let winzip delete the file, but THAT didn''t work. so, what finally worked was opening it up in wordpad, selectall/delete, save, and then i was able to delete the file.

okay, so what do you guys think, virus? or am i trippin'' over nothing?

a2k

Houdini    266
Reformatting? Nothing like going to exremes... .

I don''t know why it would say you have less than 640k TOTAL conventional memory, but I wouldn''t worry about it. There''s no reason for a virus to change the total conventional memory from 640 to 636 (viruses tend to try and hide themselves, not make themselves obvious) and even less reason for it to only change it by a few k.

Bottom line is, if you''ve scanned your harddrive for viruses, and your computer is running fine, then I wouldn''t lose any sleep over it.

- Houdini

JonStelly    127
Houdini, Virii that loaded themselves into the BIOS or MBR used to effect the total conventional memory. It''s not that they were trying to be cute, but that was part of their operation.

furby100    102
I have only 638k total conventional memory at all on this Win98SE PC. On my Win95b and Win95 PCs I have 640k total conventional memory. It is really surprising people here don''t know about conventional memory, upper memory, extended memory and expanded memory. I will explain for the uninitiated. Conventional memory is for code and data. All code must fit into 640k. That is ten segments, which are 64k or 2^16 bytes. The rest under 1 Meg is called upper memory, and is used for system level stuff, and you will not want to mess with that. Above that is extended memory, or XMS. THen is you use EMM386, you can get expanded memory or EMS. A lot of games around 1994/1995 required EMS to run. However EMS and XMS can only store data, not runnable code. And they both store it in entirely different but equally screwed up ways. However, with the advent of what we call Protected Mode or 32 bit, these memory splits dissapeared, along with the whole segmented memory thing we had before as well. Now things like Virtual memory and up to 4 gigabytes (2^32 bytes) memory are available to programs, without using screwed up ways like EMS/XMS.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

furby100    102
In the future people will say stuff like Windows says there is only 39 Gigabytes of available conventional memory. And then other people will say, are you sure Windows 2018 can run in only 39 gigabytes? I have 64 terabytes. I can just imagine it...

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

CobraA1    122
I agree with Houdini. If there''s nothing wrong, don''t lose any sleep on it. The 640k limit is only for older programs. And ALL computers have this, for compatibility reasons. All Windows programs can use all of your computer''s available memory, aka extended memory (I''m not sure furby is correct about only storing data in XMS, this is your actual physical memory!). Virtual memory is that swapfile that Windows uses when it runs out of physical memory.

BTW, the boot code always has to run in conventional memory. This is the file IO.SYS on all Windows/Win NT/DOS computers.

EMS (Expanded memory) is an old memory model that used "pages", and swapped them in/out of conventional memory, giving you more access to memory, but requiring a swap whenever you wanted to anything on a different page. This means that EMS is slow. It is actually emulated on nearly all computers, since this is no longer supported in hardware. XMS is now the standard.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

mov_player    122
Dude, Chill Out. How long you been using your ''puter?
Here''s a little info, take it or reformat your system.
MOST of the newer motherboards, just round off conventional memory to 640k. 640,000kb is actually only about 625k. THIS is a computer your working on, not a metric system. 1000k metric equals 1024bytes on the ''puter. So 640kb is really 655360. Like I said most boards just drop it to 640 for the new folks. Then comes the OS adding things into conventional memory drop this total usually 36k, this varies by OS version. You don''t have a virus. I may be off a byte or bit, but trust me, your system doesn''t need to be reformatted and installed.

a2k    124
okay, so yer saying that if after reformatting, it''s still 636k, that it''s not a virus. GUARANTEED not a virus, so that, supposing i put up a demo of my game from this computer, and everyone in the gamedev community downloaded my game, there is no possiblity at all whatsoever that a virus can exist on the data that i''d be making available to the public.

i would hate to continue development on my game if i''m working on corrupted files.

actually, lemme ask you this. all you guys PLEASE DO THIS:

everyone with win98 SE. go into dos prompt, type MEM for me, and tell me what you get for TOTAL CONVENTIONAL memory. if it''s 640k, tell me 640. if it isn''t, tell me what it is anyway.
of course, it''s the upper left most number, right?

if there are plenty of responses that say that there is NOT 640k, then i''ll feel safer.

thanks, guys.
a2k

Nazrix    307

At my computer here at work, it's not 640K...it's 655K...like what mov_player was saying

Edited by - Nazrix on October 5, 2000 8:08:07 PM

Coleco    164
quote:

Hehe, damn all of you kids that didn''t have to deal with Conventional Memory! =p

Don''t sum me up in that category.

I remember trying to squeeze more screens into my Commodore 64''s 16k graphics memory.

On my first computer, not only did it not have a harddrive, but it even didn''t have a FLOPPY drive! I stored all of my programs on cassette tapes (the same you *used* to listen to music on).

-Coleco

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

--HASBRO SUCKS--

Gladiator    127
Mine says 640k total and 571k free.

-------------------------------
I'll screw up whoever screws around with the gamedev forum!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..