"Revamped" Game Design Idea

Started by
6 comments, last by lkd85 19 years, 6 months ago
Well like most people I have defeated myself yet again by going flat on my gaming promises (I think it's the A.D.D.). Well back in January I came up with the beaten to death idea of DITL (Day In The Life). After the first design doc I soon quit and went on to shoot some music vids and what not. But now I'm interested in gaming again (temporarly :)) and I'm trying to come up with another idea that can incorporate a simple yet realistic behavorial and intelligence system. In other words the Comp. PPL can interate with you and other Comp. PPL in the game. Such as but not limited to: If you piss someone off according to "variables" in their personality they will put your reputation in the dirt or simply might beat or try and kill you. Or vice-versa Of course they and you can have kids, even parent or neglegt them. The can be an asset or they can hinder the persons life. Environmental and other humanly factors such as shelter, hungry, sanitary needs would effect "variable" too. Now the what should goal of this game or MMORPG be? Hmm... Maybe the person can take try and take over the world. Or maybe it can be an adventure game that has all of the above features. Hell, I might as well continue my idea of making a open-source version of a "Sims" (trademark) type of game. I'm really confused. Seriously, since my main interest is in making artifical humans so to speak I going to try and make a general AI engine and see if I program an AI/Object and "Emotion" based interaction model from scratch (I might end up accidentally creating a FSM or Fuzzy machine or some s*it like that :))using little ASCII characters at first (or BMP sprites). If I can get that to work in a realistic manner then I go into more complex features like making a open ended world where the "humans" can fend for themselves and learn. Any comments?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lkd85
Any comments?

Hire a large team of programmers.
______________________________________________The title of "Maxis Game Designer" is an oxymoron.Electronic Arts: High Production Values, Low Content Values.EA makes high-definition crap.
please forgive me if you already have, as this is not meant to be snide: your best bet would be to research everything that has been done in this direction before you start anything. and expect to spend a good chunk of your life getting it working in the first place :)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Quote:and expect to spend a good chunk of your life getting it working in the first place :)

Ahh... but I want it now!

Yeah, Last night I started making some structures for the "Artifical Human" engine. Tell me what you think so far.
-------------------------------------------------------------

//Structures

//Personality
struct PERSONALITY
{
//All factors on a scale from 1-10
int niceness; //vs. evilness
int calmness; //vs. prone to stress
int assertiveness; //vs. lazyness
int outgoing;//vs. shyness
int violent; //vs. passiveness
int selfesteem; /*weighted by all of the above and
reactions with others.*/
}

//Me!
struct ME
{
int id; //Person's id number
int age; //Current age
int lifeexp; //Max age weighted on health/stress
//factors basically
//Emotions
PERSONALITY persona; //Main Factors for interactions
//Physical
int comfort; //The comfort "zone"
//(weighted with interactions and health)
int health; //Duh!
//Mental
int intelligence;
/*How fast the person can "learn" per se weighted on health
and self-esteem*/
}

-------------------------------------------------------------
Note I still have to put in structs for "memory" and other factors. After the ME structure is complete I have to intertwine everything together.

Suggestions.
//Personality
struct PERSONALITY
{//All factors on a scale from 1-100
int niceness; //vs. evilness conventional vs unconventional lawfulness ???
int calmness; //vs. prone to stress rash vs contemplative ??
int assertiveness; //vs. lazyness active vs passive
int outgoing; //vs. shyness collective vs individual
int violent; //vs. passiveness same
int selfesteem; /*weighted by all of the above and reactions with others.*/ self assurance ??? confidense modifier??
}
struct ME
{
int id; //Person's id number
int age; //Current age
int lifeexp; //Max age weighted on health/stress factors basically
//Emotions
PERSONALITY persona; //Main Factors for interactions
^^^ center / variance / current state / decay rate
//Physical
int comfort; //The comfort "zone" (weighted with interactions and health)
^^^ -- sleep food air water temperature
int health;
//Mental
int intelligence; /*How fast the person can "learn" per se weighted on health and self-esteem*/
wisdom ??
}

multi tiered (hierarchical) goals/solutions/tasks

inherited skill classes (multiple solutions for goal)

evaluation of situation (alot of reevaluation)
to validate solution selection and best fit...

priority schemes that adjust evaluation of potential solutions

ex:
normal priority - steal not a valid solution
life or death priority - steal is acceptable
Seems like a nice idea, and recently I've seen a lot of discussion surrounding more complex AI models and specifically morality models. However, what do you intend to build upon this system? It seems it is complex enough to be doing a lot of stuff but what exactly are you going to do?
www.neoshockmod.net - An HL2 Modification
Quote:It seems it is complex enough to be doing a lot of stuff but what exactly are you going to do?

I'm probably building it for realistic AI for an adventure game I might do or an open source ppl sim (LCP neone?). Basically the engine will just take a bunch of values from the "external" world so the humans can run a semi realistic life. Another thing I'll implement will be "bootleg genetics". If the conditions are right and a person is cool enough with a member of the opposite sex they will spawn a child that will inherit a few of there traits to a degree. Also as "Anonymous Poster #2" had mentioned priority schemes will be involved also. The same goes for evaluating the situations. Those will be involved with mental processes which will be a function of its own. The outcome of decisions will also effect personality and self-esteem (good decision - ego boost, bad decision - slit wrists). I'm now just trying to finish the structs before I code anything. Email me at lkd_852003@yahoo.com if u want to talk further about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement