VC++ .net 2003 compiler error

Started by
4 comments, last by THACO 19 years, 6 months ago
I receently upgraded frrom VC 6 to VS C++ .net 2003. I formated first cuz i know .net does not like VC 6. Im running XP SP1, and I can't compile any C++ code and probably not C either. I just create a new win32 console application and i get the basic probably 5 line program. When i compile what is auto created by Visual Studio it gives me a compiler overflow error, which states my source code is to big to break it up. Yet i just use the wizardy to create the files. I also tried a win32 application from the wizard no dice. I tried old code that compiled before on VC 6, no dice. When i search for the error online i just get that the source should be broken up but that is not the case since there is just a main and a return. I can however compile and run C# programs. I have tried to repair a nd reinstall but to no avail. I have obtained the CD's from the school as part of a campus license agreement, ,should i try to get CD's from somewhere else? Are there any hot fixes? anything i missed or anywhere else i could post or look? or should i just move to some other enviroment like Eclipse with the C++ plugin?? Thanks -THACO
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by THACO
I formated first cuz i know .net does not like VC 6.

I know several people at work with both installed. They've never had any trouble.

Anyway, if it's the "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR" thing you're getting, it's often caused by Norton Anti Virus. Disable it. If it fixes it, and you want virus protection, you'll have to get something else (there are some free AV programs available). Not ideal, I know, but thats how it is.

Something else causes this error too (assuming this is the error you're getting), because we have someone at work that gets this error often without Norton. They can always choose rebuild all, but 30% of the time if they choose to compile normally it doesn't work. We haven't been able to isolate what's causing it on this one machine.
Quote:Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
Quote:Original post by THACO
I formated first cuz i know .net does not like VC 6.

I know several people at work with both installed. They've never had any trouble.

Likewise, at one stage I've had MSVC 6, MSVC.NET 2003 and MSVC.NET 2005 installed on a single machine without any issues.

A few thoughts/questions:

1) have you installed the Platform SDK recently? Is it up to date?

2) have you installed any other SDKs recently? (DirectX etc)

3) have you installed any tools such as VTune which may have replaced/re-routed the default compiler?

4) do you have multiple development environments installed (Dev C++, Watcom, MSVC etc)?

[Edited by - S1CA on October 1, 2004 9:58:15 PM]

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

... And me, I have VS6, VS.Net 2002, and VS.Net 2003 on my machine at work!

There are a few free MS support options, you might want to see if you can find one relating to MSVS problems and asking them. It is also worth a try to search their knowledge base, as it is FULL of known problems for all their software (fixed and not, could be that you just need to get a patch you don't have).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Yes it is an INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR, I am running MacAfee, ill have to check that out, not at that computer at the moment. I was going to install 2003 with 6.0 already there but it said i shouldn't and well for once i did believe them, but apparently that shouldn't be a problem anyway. I am not at my computer but tomorrow i will try to disable anti virus and see how that goes. I have tried rebuild option and still the same, I do have Eclipse installedd for java but that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all your input, hopefully i will post tomorrow saying it was due to anti virus software.

-THACO

P.S. also i was browsing other threads in this forum and noticed one on c++ compilers and with a quote of someone saying eventhough .net 2005 was in beta, it was very stable and worth it, should i just try to get 2005 beta to work?
well no dice, i uninstalled macafee virus scan and still same error who knows

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement