So, how do you come up with a game idea?

Started by
25 comments, last by onyxflame 19 years, 6 months ago
I've decided that I need to take a decent approach to this. Basically, I've decided to code a game. It doesn't have to be technically particularly advanced, nor does it have to be terribly original...but it needs me to give it at least a few original touches and generally ought to be fun. So far, this isn't a game idea. What I need is an idea, which is an exciting and interesting idea for me to flesh out and really enjoy working on. But I've got nothing. What am I supposed to do for inspiration? How can I come up with a game idea from absolutely nothing?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
It all boils down to "whatchu wanna do" :>.

Really it does.

What genre do you like?
This has always been one of the toughest things for me, thinking of that original idea. It might be easier if you have a basic idea of what you want to make (be it puzzle, point and click adventure, shmup.) From there play the types of games in that genre, that might give you some ideas. It's important to note that you don't have to have a ground breaking original game, something that people are familar with can be just as good.
--------------------------<modena> - Comfortably Nub
I'm leaning towards something Action-Adventure, maybe hybridized with FPS, maybe not. Don't care too much for FPS, but they can be a simple and effective way of making a game, a la Deus Ex.

Not so interested in RPG as it's way too much work, and not interested in Puzzle because I don't have the sheer patience to play most of the time.

Platformers are cool, but like RPGs, I suspect it'll be way too much.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I look for a game that's a good idea but a half-baked implementation and then try to do it better.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Well, if you're starting out simple (IE: you haven't already completed a few games) then oftentimes it is easier to come up with some sort of derived idea of an existing game. And I don't mean, "It's teh DOOM III with toilet paper instead of rockets!!1!" (Although that would be interesting :-).

A couple of friends and I made something along these lines... A Tetris game that featured backgrounds that are generated and pulse to your own MP3's. (Shameless plug: btw, check it out and some other simple games at: http://www.deadiguana.com)

However, if you are beyond the simple game stage or just want to do something a little more original, just let your mind wander for a little bit.

For example: What about a ginger-bread man? You start out as a simple doughy bread man, and have to run and jump, collect sprinkles and other adornments on your way to the cookie sheet. You must dodge frying pans and the occasional crap crusted on the stove.

The world needs more unique game ideas, in my opinion. Just try to think of something that you know you can complete, and give it a go. It doesn't hurt to use exising game ideas, but be sure to bring your own unique elements to the game, and not just, "Sims 2, but they can have sex!"

What about a game about Alfred the Goat? He has psychological problems and dreams of being swallowed whole by cottage cheese curds. (Yuck). In order to pay for professional counselling, he has to eat weeds out of a garden.

Just sit down and let you mind wander and I'm sure you'll come up with something. I believe in you! :-)
Mmm, just pick a game genre or a game(A game you think you can make small rpg,tetris,platform,puzzle, or 3d ,space game, simulation,sport etc. I dont know what is your experience)

And just throw ideas, crazy ideas, combining genres, until you hit a good one. ie Shot em up Survival Horror Puzzle Simulation (Not a good one, but you get the point)

Use your imagination.

SSHPS (Shot em up Survival Horror Puzzle Simulation) WTF?...hehe

Bruno B
Quote:What about a ginger-bread man?

Mmm...Ginger Bread Man
Ginger bread..hehe
I would love to see that.
Bruno B
If I had a good time playing a game, I think about what I'd want to add to the experience and see if it feels like a game of its own.

Even if it's a game being made totally from scratch, it should be one that I'd want to play, if I want to respect the artform.

I had an idea for a game I'd like to play that was born off from the fun I had with Battlezone and how bland Battlezone 2 felt, but it would have been too much work to make. I think programming it and seeing everything come to life probably would have meant more than the actual play value. I may never know.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement