Sign in to follow this  
Khaos Dragon

can't get my surface tangent light vector to vary across pixels in glsl

My problem is that my surface_light vector always seems to be the same, even when I pass different values via glUniform3fARB. Specifically, I am rotating a quad about the z axis, and despite the different tangent light vector generated, my quad always looks the same...as if the tangent light vector were not changing. Basically for each vertex I pass to my glsl shader, I do this:
handle_to_light = glGetUniformLocationARB( glsl_program, "light" );
glUniform3fARB( handle_to_light, surface_light.x, surface_light.y, surface_light.z );
glMultiTexCoord2fARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, A.texX, A.texY);
glMultiTexCoord2fARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, A.texX, A.texY);
glVertex3f( A.x, A.y, A.z );
And so the values of the light vector should be passed to the vertex shader.
uniform vec3 light;
varying vec2 texture_coordinate; 
varying vec3 surface_light;

void main()
{
surface_light = light;
gl_Position = ftransform();
texture_coordinate = vec2(gl_MultiTexCoord0); 
}

And then I make it so the surface_light is interpolated, until the next vertex by setting it to a varying variable, so this is the corresponding pixel shader used.
uniform sampler2D bump;
uniform sampler2D perpen;
varying vec2 texture_coordinate;
varying vec3 surface_light;

void main ()
{
surface_light = 0.5f*surface_light + 0.25f;
float scale = dot( surface_light,texture2D(perpen, texture_coordinate)); 
gl_FragColor = scale*texture2D(bump, texture_coordinate );
}

looking quickly at your code. (which i cant really make sense of but anyways)

the lightvectorshould be a normalized vector thus from ( -1.0 -> 1.0 ) thus no need to scale it by half + add a quarter
though if the vectors not normallized eg youre using light_vector = light_position - vertex_position then u will want ot normalize it first.
though the texturemap (containing the normals) is usually in the region of 0.0 -> 1.0 but u want this in the same region as the light vector ie -1.0 -> 1.0. thus u can do texture.rgb*2.0 - 1.0. now these are the two vectors that u dotproduct together to get the fragments shade.

though to get standard bumpmapping in your shader up and running youre gonna have to supply a lot more info per vertice eg for each vertice u will need the normal,bitangent + tangent (see some bumpmapping papers about what these are) as well as the lights direction

ps/ using uniforms for stuff that changes per vertice is gonna be slow. use one of the inbuilt things eg colors/texcoords/normals