"Guess what the bug is" game..

Started by
33 comments, last by Dmytry 19 years, 6 months ago
Hence the crash being on the second call, not the first - the block is DWORD aligned but the end of the string "This is a simple log string" is not.

I'd have to guess that, as S1CA says, it's a misaligned pointer that causes death on some architectures.
Advertisement
But so what if it's not DWORD aligned? Memory is byte addressable. It just isn't as efficient if it's not DWORD aligned.
Fractoid/S1CA found it :)

Memory is byte adressable, but only if your pointer is of type "char *".

If you are pointing to a short (2 bytes), your pointer must be aligned to 2 bytes.

If you are pointing to an int (4 bytes) like in my code sample, your pointer must be aligned to 4 bytes.

Same if you're adressing a long int or a double (8 bytes): memory must be aligned on 8 bytes.

I've seen it happen on different OS / systems, particularly Irix and Linux 64 bits.

It's strange because technically, this code is perfectly correct. Since the value of the pointer is not known at run-time, the compiler cannot issue a warning either.

On Win32 / Linux32, this code works, although i'd expect the access due to mis-alignement to be a bit slower. But it doesn't crash..

Imagine your surprise when you have to track that bug on some code that first looks 100% correct..? *cry*

Y.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I'm pretty sure that all compilers will align newly allocated memory on 32 or 64 bit boundaries to avoid weird problems like that.

Yes, they do. The *allocation* will be aligned (nothing to do with the compiler there), so "log_buffer" will be at an aligned address.

Quote:Even if they didn't, there's no reason why it wouldn't work: memory is byte addressable.

Nope, I disagree. Look more closely and consider that code running on CPUs which don't allow 16-bit (word) or 32-bit (long word) writes to odd memory addresses. The 68000 is a real world example of such a CPU.

The OP says it crashes on the *second* log_string() call. So let's look at why:

First call to log_string()

1) "log_buffer" will be allocated at an even start address, and it will likely be aligned on a 32-bit boundary too (though that's allocator dependent).
So for the sake of this investigation, let's say that the initial value is "log_buffer = 1000".

2) during the first call to log_string(), "log_offset" will be 0 which is what it's initialised to at program start time.

3) So for the first log_string() call, "(log_buffer + log_offset)" is 1000 + 0 = 1000

4) "This is a simple log string" is 27 characters long, so "len = 27"

5) *((int *) casts the memory into an int pointer. On most platforms an "int" is either 16 or 32-bits. For the sake of this discussion we'll say it's 32-bits, or 4 bytes long.

6) "*((int *)(log_buffer + log_offset)) = len;" writes a single 4 byte int containing the value 27 to the memory at address 1000 (log_buffer + log_offset). The first log_string() call doesn't fail because the address is even.

7) after the int is written, log_offset is incremented by 4 bytes (sizeof(int)). So now log_offset = 4.

8) then the string is memcpy()'d, and then the log_offset has the length of the string added to it: so log_offset += 27, 4+27=31, so log_offset = 31.

Second call to log_string()

9) "(log_buffer + log_offset)" is 1000 + 31 = 1031

10) strlen("But this call is going to crash") = 31

11) "*((int *)(log_buffer + log_offset)) = len;" writes a single 4 byte int containing the value 31 to the memory at address 1031 (log_buffer + log_offset).

12) 1031 is an *ODD* memory address, and a whole 4 bytes (aka: dword or longword) is being written to that address. This *WILL* crash on a CPU which doesn't allow odd write addresses (I've written Amiga and Mac code professionally in the past and had to deal with this exact issue...)
oops - the above AP was me. For some reason the board gave me a login screen with "Anonymous Poster" in the username field ?!?!!

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Of course the 68000 will throw an CPU exception that tells you exactly that it was this type of memory access error, and which address in memory that it failed... And your debugger should show you the exact line of asm, where you look at it, look at the registers, and go "D'oh!". Unless you're the type who's only debugging tool is "stare at the source until it hits you", you'll have no problems debugging this one.
Works for me. The only time I've ever had to look at the ASM source was recently, while using an embedded C++ compiler which cocked up and forgot to initialize a register. I don't think it's a matter of what level you debug at, more just general experience. Specifically, knowing, as a random and usually-useless piece of trivia the likes of which us techies love to collect, that while intel processors will groan and bear it, other architectures will fall over when given a misaligned pointer.

If you don't know that 0x0b84 is a valid value for an int pointer but 0x0b83 is not, then no amount of staring at assembler will help you.

[edit: obviously I have other debugging methods than just 'sit and stare at the source' but I find it's usually the quickest and easiest way to do it. ]
I think the program crashes because the code is ugly.

http://www.mildspring.com - developing android games

Quote:
I think the program crashes because the code is ugly.

The code sample is ugly because it's meant to be short & simple. In a professional work environment, sometimes you just don't have the time to make your code nice and well designed.

Y.
Quote:Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
Of course the 68000 will throw an CPU exception that tells you exactly that it was this type of memory access error, and which address in memory that it failed... And your debugger should show you the exact line of asm, where you look at it, look at the registers, and go "D'oh!". Unless you're the type who's only debugging tool is "stare at the source until it hits you", you'll have no problems debugging this one.
Or if you're doing embedded development on a system that doesn't have a monitor/screen of any time. I guess there might be an in-circuit debugger, but such things can be difficult to use, especially when you can't constantly test your code on the target system because it is being tweaked by the electrical engineers at the same time you're tweaking away at software engineering.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement