which compiler? and what are class libraries?

Started by
5 comments, last by ghost_within 23 years, 6 months ago
which compiler/library should i use for 16-32bit isometric rpg/action programming? where can i get it and how much does it cost? (free compilers preferred!) im a student who got a hold of abook on cpp and read it all through in a week and really want to get into game programming. what is the difference between cpp and msvcpp? what are these class libraries i hear of (like borland or whatever)? and do i need them? and what is object oriented programming (and will i need it/will it help me)? ****many thanks for any answers or tips that you can provide! P.S. ARE THERE ANY QUALITY FREE COMPILERS OR CLASS LIBRARIES THAT WILL ACCOMPLISH WHAT I WANT TO DO? (isometric rpgs) P.S.S. ARE THERE ANY IMPORTANT DIFFERENCES TO PROGRAMMING FOR WINDOWS (MOUSE, WINDOWS THEMSELVES, ETC.) THAT THIS TEXT BOOK WOULDNT HAVE TAUGHT ME? (ITS A 1998 MADE-FOR-SCHOOLS BOOK. AND I DON''T REMEMBER IT MENTIONING ANY WINDOWS-SPECIFIC TECHNIQUES)
Advertisement
Dude, you really have a lot to learn. Your post reeks of inexperience. Learning a new programming language takes no more a couple of hours but can take a life time to get really good at programming. Anyone can pick up a pencil and start sketching but only a few can turn out to be a Van Gogh.
Come on, you asked what the difference between cpp and msvc_cpp is? In my opinion none to very little but find out for yourself first. Also, how do you plan to start? Even if you have designed the game on paper, have you figured how you are going to implement it? Relax and try to code some programs without just copying the examples in some book. Write a ''REAL'' program that does something first. Good luck.
-AnkX
DJGPP, a free command-line C++ compiler, should be available at http://www.delorie.com

Borland are offering their C++ compiler (v5.5) for free. This is the compiler that comes with C++ Builder 5. Note that you do not get the IDE (Integrated Development Environment). This is the command-line compiler only. Take a look at http://www.borland.com for more.

But do not be surprised if you feel completely out of your depth. As the previous poster suggested, you sound like you have little to no experience in this, so wanting to dive straight into a isometric RPG is asking for disaster and frustration.

Steve 'Sly' Williams
Tools Developer
Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Hehe, I have also a book about dinosaurs. I read it through in one day and now I want to clone some of ''em. Could anyone tell me good resources? ;-)
LOL Tell like it is Anonymous! Take that Boo YAH! Newbie justice with a passion that is you Man! That was a sweet Dis!

Matthew Fitzgerald (Maketty),
Knightvision Games
Maketty (Matthew FitzGerald) The meaning of Life part 5:Live organ transplants...
dude, you guys have got the wrong idea all together. sure im new, but that was just the story of how i got started. i can program dos-based applications, read source code, compile and debug, and most other things (with an average amount skill). i just know nothing about programming a game (graphics, windows, mouse, etc) and was hoping for some help. i thought that using some of those compilers with all of the shortcuts and such would help whn making a game is all.
In that case, you should learn to program Win32 apps with the Win32 API. You should probably buy Charles Petzold''s "Programming Windows Fifth Edition", get that on Amazon (or Waterstone''s if you are in UK)...
Then, once you''ve read, understood and can make some nifty Windows programs, you should start to make your first tentative steps into game programming, which is where I am at now. So, to do this, I am going to buy Andre Lamothe''s book "Tips from the Game Programming guru''s"...

When I''ve read that I''m gonna start on the very basics, like a clone of a game already made and then maybe I''ll start on my own project...

Trust me, you can spend the next 6 months hacking away at DirectX and getting some way into it but the way I am going about things (and the way everyone else has suggested you do things) in that same 6 months you will certainly have got further by following a recognised learning curve...
Just my opinion in the end though.

KlDzny
"Success can make you persevere for hours, failure can make you quit in seconds" - KlDzny

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement