Sign in to follow this  
WizHarDx

Forceball - My Demo

Hi everybody. Ive just completed my demo. I was wondering if you guys could test it out on your machines and give me feedback. The link is: http://www.sam91.com/Iain/IFraser.htm thank-you in advance Iain Fraser

Looks like a fun game, unforetunately it crashes on my computer.
The actual game will load (ie. I choose single player, then a difficulty, and the loading screen comes up for a second or two then dissapears), but then a random amount of time into the game (more often than not as soon as the loading screen dissapears, but other times it goes 20 seconds or more) an error box pops up and thats it. The error says nothing useful, just it's encountered a problem and needs to close.

If it helps, I've got a P3-800, GF4 (4200 I think), and Dx9b

Edit: On an unrelated note, I went to school with someone called Ian Fraser, who left to goto England a few years back. I'd be extremely surprised if he took up computer programming though, and I think he spelt his name with only one 'i', so I assume you're not him :)

side note - I left Kenya when I was 12 to goto school in England! if you went to Pembroke school in Kenya then this is one major major concidence and what is your name!

With the problem do you actully see the in game graphics at all? If you have any time could you press F2 and try changing the settings and find any that do work

thank-you in advance
Iain

ya the stomer is, i had the sound working perfectly and put my demo on CD and it was all dandy.

But then I wanted to send it to a recuriment company and they said that the zip file should not be greater thant 4mb. With the wav files it came up to 9mb, so this morning i put mp3 playback support using dshow. It was actully quite a bitch to make it loop nicely because of the streaming.

I could not find a solution anywhere, but the way I did it ( a very cheap hack) was load the mp3 twice, then set one to the start while the other was playing and switch them. The solution is ok b/c its streaming and therefore only a small portion is loaded at any one time. Processing is not any larget either b.c only 1 stream processed at one time.

Drawbacks as simb pointed out are jitterd sound. If anyone knows a better simple solution (im not writing my own mp3 decoder) and would be very intrested.

thank-you in advance
Iain Fraser

Quote:
Original post by WizHarDx
side note - I left Kenya when I was 12 to goto school in England! if you went to Pembroke school in Kenya then this is one major major concidence and what is your name!

Awww too bad, I went to school here in Perth (Australia). So no fairytale reunion afterall.

As for the game crashing, it's not random like I said first. Trying it out several more times, it happens in one of two spots. One is as soon as the loading screen disappears, and the screen is all black. Other times I can actually see all the graphics, and the camera will fly around a bit then zoom in behind my bat, and it crashes just as the pipe fills up the screen.
screenshot
So if it doesnt crash at the first spot, it crashes without fail when the camera reaches the point in the screenshot. If I click the mouse button before it crashes though, I can start hitting the ball back and forth until the camera reaches that point.

Also, I tried changing some settings, but that crashes it too :/ In fact, even just hitting F2, then clicking OK without changing anything and it crashes. Clicking cancel doesn't crash it though.

- Simon

simb - thanx for taking the time out to help me!!

Since on the screenshot the graphics seem fine, I checked the source code and the only other thing it must be is the music. So ive compiled an executable with no music. Its on the same page, underneath the screenshots. Could you please download it and see if you still have the problems.

Place the executable in the same folder as the other forceball executable then try run it.

thank-you
Iain

I tried the no-music one, and things are working a lot better now. The game itself now plays fine with no problems (and is good fun too :)).
It still crashes however when I click OK on the settings dialog (whether I made any changes or not).

thank-you very much for all the help and the complement.

About the dialog box, I didn't code it so im gonna ignore that. I just used the generic Dx framework. Plus people aren't really meant to know about being able to press F2

If you have trouble with your own mp3 decoder, and you can't find a good library to play the mp3s, you might take a look at ogg vorbis files. They compress similar to mp3s but there is no restrictive license surrounding their use, and so there are generally more free libraries available you can use to read them in and play them.

[Edited by - Kelly G on October 6, 2004 8:34:04 AM]

Sign in to follow this