Sign in to follow this  

What Data Format Shoulsd I Use

This topic is 4821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
Ok so ive got a pointer the bits in a locked rectangle, but what data format are theyb stored in, so i can memcpy them to an array?

ace

The format of the data will be in whichever format the surface/texture was created in.

If you didn't create the texture yourself (perhaps due to using something such as D3DXCreateTextureFromFile() which decided on a format for you), then you can use IDirect3DTexture9::GetLevelDesc() to find out.

The name of the format tells you how it's layed out in memory; D3DFMT_R5G6B5 for example means 5-bits of red, then 6-bits of green, then 5-bits of blue, and 5+6+5=16 so each pixel is 16-bits or a "WORD" wide. Another example, D3DFMT_X8B8G8R8 means 8 unused bits (X8), followed by 8 blue bits (B8), 8 green bits (G8) and finally 8 red bits (R8); 8+8+8+8=32=DWORD.

Umm, maybe i should have explained, this is a lock rect on a surface not a texture, probably similar, but basically i need to know how toread the color of a pixel within that rect and im nnot sure how...

ace

This topic is 4821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.