My Network plz check

Started by
9 comments, last by Ragdoll 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone, im 15 and trying to build my first network, check it out and tell me if i made any mistakes. I have 2 computers and would liek to run a public server on one and play on the other. Heres what i got so far... 2 pcs, 2 cat5 25' cables, Network everywhere fast ethernet 10/100 5 port network hub (model nh1005), cable modem (comcast high speed internet is providing 2 static ip adresses), one pc had network adapter integrated into its motherboard chip and i got a pci network adapter for the otherone, i also plan to share files and printers across my network. now if someone can explain to me the "Open/Close PORTS" stuff to me i would really appreciate it. this is what i know so far and correct me if im wrong, to host game server some ports on the hub need to be open, i couldnt find any info on my hub on how to open/close ports, you also need a public ip adress and i think when i set up my network my hub gives both pcs a local ip how can i aviod/ change that? Or maybe im just not using the right hardware to do it? im a little confused on what i need to use whats the difference between hubs and routers, and which is the best for what im trying to accomplish. PS: No software came with the network hub, if you know tell me what software is good to have for my situation, and if you know of a good website where i can research further on setting up networks. Thanx everyone for suggestions, and whish me luck. [Edited by - RussianBear on October 3, 2004 11:52:19 AM]
Advertisement
Because both computers are on the actual Internet and your router does not do firewalling, then you need to run a firewall on each of the computers. That gets extra tricky if there are services you want to provide to local machines (in your house) that you don't want to provide to remote machines. Choose a flexible, well-featured firewall and study its documentation carefully to figure out more about this, as it's specific to each firewall.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
thank you, ive heard that "zone alarm" is good but ill do more research, im still a little warried if everything is going to come togather correctly, you mentioned a ROUTER but i am using a HUB. am i wrong? is a router what im going to need for my network to work like i want it to?
In all of my networking experiences a ROUTER is required to initialy carry the internet to a LAN. A SWITCH may be used to increase the size of the LAN and keep internet connections if it connected to a ROUTER. a HUB will only connect computers into a LAN but can not carry the internet.
** This may not be true in every case, but has been my experience.
A router is generally better for home networking. It would only require you to purchase one ip address from your ISP. You wouldn't need a firewall on either computer, but no servers would be able to run**. With a router, you would be able to share files, etc. on your network without worrying about the possibilty of someone else on the internet getting to the files.

A hub would be best for if your router didn't have enough ports for your computers. For example, your router has 5 ports, but if you have 8 computers (I collect old hardware) you would want to use, in addition to a router, a hub or a switch (basically do the same thing). A hub alone (without a router) would require you to get 2 IP addresses from your ISP, which might cost more depending on the ISP. A hub would expose both computers directly to the internet, and servers would be able to run easily on either computer. However, file sharing etc. is actually a server, and therefore you would need a firewall on each computer to prevent some random person on the internet from accessing your shared files.

** With most routers today, you can set a "DMZ Host" which will expose one computer on your network directly to the internet. This compture will be able to run servers, and will need a firewall.

Also, if your servers only need to be accessed by the other computer on the network, a router would be fine. Any computer that is behind the same router can access resources behind that router.
Again thanx everyone (including nipie8 =D) for your help, heregoes' mo' qwestions first about IP addresses do I need two of them or one? I would like to host a GAMING server (Counter Strike, Battlefield 1942, etc.) on one computer(a) and play games online on the other computer(b), and I want to be able to play games on the server that i am runing(a) from the machine (b), second how can i look up what the IP is on the computer (Running XP OS SP2), third do both router and hub have ports i heard some games require to have some ports open (whatever that means x_0 ) in order to run a dedicated game server, fourth get ready this is a big one i also have friends come over sometimes and they want to get in the action so they bring thier fragboxes with them, as i understood from what you said nipie8 im going to need a hub because i have 2 pcs + say 2 friends with fragboxes, 5th port i cannt use caz uplink port is next to it on the hub that i have (Network Everywhere fast ethernet 10/100 5 port network hub model nh1005) and i will plug in an exterior modem (curtesy of Comcast), Fifth say if i disable file sharing between the 2 pcs that i own will it help to keep my files more secure from "unwelcomed internet guests", oh man should have just said hackers, i would still like to print from both pcs though. I think thats enaugh for now.
PS: Please gimme alot slak on english, im 15 year old russian kid, and give me any advice if you can.

[Edited by - RussianBear on October 4, 2004 11:04:46 PM]
*bump*...no suggestions :( please help me figure it out.

[Edited by - RussianBear on October 4, 2004 11:38:54 PM]
*bump*bumo*bump*
Try a user forum for the games you're trying to set up your server for. This really is the network *PROGRAMMING* forum.

And please don't bump threads. If people don't reply, they won't reply. Bumping is against general forum policy.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
sorry about bumping and thank you for redirection

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement