Lesson47

Started by
10 comments, last by raydog 19 years, 6 months ago
Lesson47.exe - Unable to Locate Component This application has failed to start because cg.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. Sorry, but I absolutely hate lessons with dependencies on missing files. At least provide a full download link to all the necessary files. There's a lot of links here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_toolkit.html But I don't see anything that says this file contains CG.DLL.
Advertisement
Ok, you need to download the NVIDIA Cg Toolkit.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/cg/Cg_1.3/Windows/CgSetup_1.3.0408.0400.exe

10MB download just to get a lesson running.

What does it mean if I only see a flat, green 3d grid? It's not moving? Hitting the spacebar
does nothing. Aarrgh.
No wonder why people are totally fed up with shaders. I'll come back to them in a couple years when these graphics card people make them user friendly. Too much frustration getting things to work.
If you arent good enough of a developer to download and include the dlls with the project...

EDIT: ifi ts doing nothing for ou, you probably have an old card or something of the such.
Quote:
If you arent good enough of a developer to download and include the dlls with the project...

I said the lesson didn't give any direct links. I don't like tutorials that give a top domain link, like microsoft.com, and then says go find it yourself. I know absolutely nothing about shaders or what I need to run this program.

I have a shader-supported graphics card, bought in the last 1-2 years. ATI, not Nvidia. This lesson
just doesn't do any error checking, telling me where it's failing. At least give me an error message
or something. Maybe should turn this into an article or tutorial instead of a lesson.
well... what is your hardware exactly, do you have the most recent drivers?

Here is a good clue, when you need to get the dll and other tools to work with (such as a compiler) it's often all in the tool kit or the sdk.

To solve your problem get toolkit 1.2, alot of my shaders stoped working with the release of 1.3.
Apparently, sgi has developed a new shading language that will be in OGL 2.0:

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/oglsl.html

Its called OpenGL shading language or oglsl...
Ah, you might be right, I downloaded Release 1.3 Beta 2 of the NVIDIA Cg Toolkit.

Lesson47 says I need version 1.1. But, that's out of the question for me: 107 MB download for a CG.DLL file? Not on dialup.

Cg Toolkit 1.1 (~107 MB)
Quote:Original post by llvllatrix
Apparently, sgi has developed a new shading language that will be in OGL 2.0:

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/oglsl.html

Its called OpenGL shading language or oglsl...

The OpenGL shading language, or glsl, is a part of the OpenGL 2.0 specification. It's a C-like language for running shaders on GPUs with programmable pipelines. If you have a graphics card that has support for the ARB_shading_language_100 extension, I'd recommend to use glsl. Take a look at ATI's RenderMonkey.

Cg, is also a high-level language for programming shaders, albeit it's created and maintained by Nvidia.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement