5 questions

Started by
2 comments, last by Shabadoo 23 years, 6 months ago
Gday, I have a few questions for all of you smart 3D graphics people out there: 1. Is it possible to create a landscape engine using cubic or quartic bezier patches? The only problem I can see with this is the likelihood of ''creases'' between the patches. If the patch idea won''t work, is there a way to use the heightmap as a set of control points for a whole map wide curve? 2. Is there a way to create a sort of localised portal rendering engine? The reason I ask this is for placing buildings in a landscape engine. Obviously something like an adaptive quadtree mesh wouldn''t be good for building architecture so I was thinking of having buildings created with an internal bsp tree that can be used when they need to be rendered. 3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of creating indoor environments using the creating solids out of empty space or carving space out of a solid methods? 4. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good tutorial on rendering skyboxes like the skies in Quake2. 5. Does anybody know if it is possible to create volumes of fog? for example if for some reason I wanted a cube of fog floating in the middle of a room, how could i achieve this? Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated Thanks, Shabadoo
Advertisement
1- Yes, I know at least two projects about it. Note that the SPEED is an issue too.

2- Yes it is. I use something similar in my 3D engine.

3- I think this make it easier to create sectors and place portals. Sofar I didn''t have worked on my level editor, but I found that this solution would solve some problems with my portal stuff.

4- check :
http://www.flipcode.com
and gamedev, you''ll find articles about that.(skydome and skybox)

5- Yes it is. Check out voodooextreme if I remember good they have a nice tutorial about it. Additionnaly, follow the previous link to find articles/tutorials about it.

Hope it helps.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Thanks for the reply Ingenu

Now that I know some of this stuff is possible I just have to figure out how to do it

Shabadoo
Well IMO it''s better to tell people it''s possible and let them think about it rather than giving them the solution.

First, because they can find another very nice way that can benefit us all.
Second, because they will have much more deeper understanding of the system they try to build.

I''m learning alone, but I''ll share my discovering as soon as I have verified their viability.

So sorry not having given you the solutions, but I really think it''ll benefit you to look at different ways of doing something rather than relying on a Paragorn''s opinion/solution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement