Endgame

Started by
4 comments, last by runemaster 20 years, 5 months ago
A) I know the new Highlander movie is called Endgame. B) If you''re a fanatic christian or devil worshipper() who is easily offended, do not read this. C) There are some typos (like final-->inal) but nothing all that terrible (I hope). D) I originally wrote this in greek (it''s much better that way, but I don''t think many ppl here speak greek) so there might be a few mistakes - I HATE TRANSLATING !!! Endgame Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic Join the Game Developers RuneRing ! The Specular Lightosis Research Fund " "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
Great stuff - I''ve actually roleplayed a scenario almost exactly like this.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Interesting, although I seem to recall a very similar story in my high school literary magazine. I''ll check when I get home. I''m really curious what your creation story for that universe would be.

BTW you''d probably love the book Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman if you haven''t read it yet.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Believe me, I didn''t steal this story, it had been in my head for years, until about a year ago I finally wrote it down.It even got published in a small magazine.It''s weird to find that other ppl have so similar ideas to mine, but I should have expected it.

Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
quote:Original post by runemaster

Believe me, I didn''t steal this story, it had been in my head for years, until about a year ago I finally wrote it down.It even got published in a small magazine.It''s weird to find that other ppl have so similar ideas to mine, but I should have expected it.

I certainly didn''t mean to suggest you stole it. What are the chances you would have seen my high school literary magazine? Anyway, when I looked at that story it was really rather different, as you can see:

The Game
Rebecca Farabaugh (all rights reserved)

I stumbled into Ignorance the other day. He was blindly running rampant through the halls, gobbling up the conversation of the innocent pawns around him. He laughed as he heard their absent-minded conversation, for their words were proof that he commanded their thoughts. He liked to feel that power. After all, he commanded the minds of so many people, milling tragically through life in their closed-minded blunder. He smiled when he ran into me, sending my books flying through the air. He evilly thought that I was just another vessel to command through the waters of life, leading to darkness. He did not know I had a friend more powerful than he.

Looking over my shoulder, his smile melted away. Knowledge loomed strong in the shadows of my clumsy footsteps. Knowledge looked tall, strong, well groomed, while Ignorance blushed and looked at the shabby clothes hanging from his voluptuous stomach, ashamed. Ignorance had thought his game fun when he was the only one consciously playing. But I had invited another competitor to this board game called Life that Ignorance seemed to master. Ignorance recognized the challenge.

Ignorance and Knowledge sat down to sport and see who would be victorious and take the prize and command of the game, Life.

Now, Knowledge and I had been friends for a long time, and I knew what he wanted as his prize. Knowledge wanted to show the misled people the truth: that they would have to study under his wing to grow toward the goals of peace and freedom. Knowledge is the one who leads us to these destinations. Many claim that they want to arrive there; but they are so easily fooled by the tricks that Ignorance plays, they cannot see the real solution that Knowledge has to offer.

Knowledge''s gift is similar to the Lord''s healing power. He slowly takes the blindness from our eyes so that we understand and respect each other, our human rights and feelings. Ignorance desires only that we listen to him and close our eyes to Knowledge. In his command, our differences and unique qualities become vices rather than the beautiful variations that make us all special. Seeing those who are different than us in a negative light can only lead to prejudice and, ultimately, war. As with the Civil War in the United States, blind Ignorance, due to a lack of understanding and appreciating differences, can separate families and make brothers bitter enemies. Only Ignorance could be cold enough to cause such ugliness. Knowledge instincts us to see the beauty in each other and deal peacefully, therefore, with our brothers.

Ignorance made the first move. He moved his black pawn slyly across the game board and grinned when he landed on the space that read: "Gain control of ten young minds." That was one of the best spaces on the board.

Somewhere nearby, ten little children began to hate their classmates because they looked different. Bobby had black skin, Susie had blonde hair, the list went on. Suddenly, these ten children didn''t want to be friends anymore, so they weren''t. They were cruel and vicious, lacking any regard for the feelings of those around them.

Ten minds fallen to Ignorance''s terrible wrath.

Knowledge rolled a six and moved to another open space. "Gain control of five minds, any age," read the board. Knowledge thought for a moment.

In a third world country that most people have never even heard of, Knowledge gained his control. Prince Rashim and his entire family were overcome with feelings for peace and a desire to grant the many people of his country a new freedom. They would be taught in schools that he could set up and would learn to work for peace with their brothers all throughout the world. Then they could handle their freedom and would hand it on through the generations.

Five minds salvaged by Knowledge.

On and on the game went, with each player making separate gains and losses. Every time one would near ultimate control, the other would land on a space that would produce the tragic blow to knock the other down. The game continued for days and days, the battle becoming grueling and harder with the movement of every pawn. No clear victor could be determined, and I had become frustrated. I knew the world neededpeace and freedom. I knew that this could only be accomplished when the differences in people could be respected and seen as beautiful. I knew Knowledge was the only one who could see this goal carried out.

Ignorance stood, exhausted from the unceasing game with Knowledge.

"Let''s rest," he mumbled, walking down the hall to get a drink of water.

Knowledge walked to my side and tiredlv smiled. He began to speak, explaining what I wanted to know.

"There is never going to be a clear victor in this game," he sighed. "Ignorance will never be completely stamped out of our world. But I am stronger, I command the minds of the powerful, my strategy was better planned. While Ignorance will never die, I will always be more powerful. That is the key to achieving our ultimate goal of peace and freedom."

This said, I realized just how true it was. Knowledge could command only the minds of those who let him in. Ignorance is easier to listen to because it pervades the mind through trickerv and deceit. Ignorance and Knowledge would have to coincide, and I would have to pray that Knowledge would forever remain the stronger of the two.

They never finished the game. Ignorance snuck out the back door due to sudden lack of interest, and Knowledge realized the pointlessness of continuing with the game. As for me, I walked home especially slowly that day and prayed for the people of this world. With help, they could all see the light of Knowledge pervading the dark and they would work together in peace so that everyone could live freely and have the right to happiness. Maybe some day Knowledge and Ignorance will finish the game and declare a victor; but until that day, they will continue to battle it out, each hoping to attain their own goals. Let''s just hope that peace and freedom eventually win.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The short story was fantastic, however, I couldn''t get onto the Endgame site, sorry. Guess there''s not much more to say beyond that.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement