Any one ever tired Dice like this?

Started by
4 comments, last by Luckless 19 years, 6 months ago
Yeah, when I'm bored and sitting at my desk, I play with a pair of dice, (In the past two weeks out of 9043 rolls, 23.87% of them were 12,... so anyone want to guess how bored I've been?) But, that had me thinking about as a simple project for something to learn/practice stuff, I would work at making one where the dice rolls weren't just ramdom number, but the 'ramdom' physics like found in real dice. I was thinking of having it so you shake the mouse and click to release, and they would be modeled to react like they would in the real world. So, I'm only posting this to see if anyone else has ever done this, and what peoples thoughts are on it. Hopefully I'll remember to do this one at somepoint just for fun, *I know, its actually not all that hard with modern 3D worlds, but when you've only made a few Text based, is a fun simple project.*
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
I would leave that alone :) It would be a "fun" thing to do with dx and win32 but i would say to steer clear from console games using "physics". Way to think outside of the box though.
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
Realistically modelling that is going to be very, very hard - you're getting into chaos theory there... millions of randomly moving gas molecules applying tiny forces to the dice to alter their angular momentum in ever-so-subtle ways, and then it's a feedback system too - if the die picks up some speed rolling in some direction, it will generate a current and vortices, and ... ugh.

Of course, if you just want to make a cool looking animated demo of some dice dropping and periodically having slight, random momentum changes (i.e. screw the physics behind it, just pick a bunch of numbers), then go for it. It'd be interesting to see if you gain any more randomness versus just picking a *single* rand(). Go look up some statistical tests so you can check when you're done.

BTW, your dice are seriously messed up/weighted if you're rolling double-6 almost a quarter of the time...
search for 'rigid body collisions' and 'angular momentum'. its very complex though, I think it only gets covered at university level.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
(In the past two weeks out of 9043 rolls, 23.87% of them were 12,... so anyone want to guess how bored I've been?)

I'd be more interested in why you're getting nearly a fourth of you rolls as 12. If it were truly random with a uniform probability of each number and each die independent of the other, you should only have 1/36th (2.8%) come up as 12. What are you're other frequencies?

As for the physics model, WAY too complicated.

-Kirk
As for numbers on my dice, :P no, they're not trick dice, but it has to do with repeating movements on a mostly controled surface. *Meaning, if you put the dice in your hand, and roll them the same way, they're likely to repeat a pattern, and yes, I AM rolling them, not just sliding them*

I've been playing, trying to learn to 'legaly' 'trick' the dice.

Sure, blindly tossing the dice for bets may be fair, but if you happen to know what your most likely to roll, it really helps get the money your friend owes you anyway back :P

"As for the physics model, WAY too complicated."

Well, that IS the point, taking something complicated and making it work. Getting a probe to orbit another planet is damn hard, but we can still do that. :P how do we know how hard something really is till we try?

I was mostly just wondering if anyone else has tried this before or not. I likely won't get around to working on this much for another year or so anyway. *I might need a bigger computer to roll a set of dice twice in a day :P*
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement