Gimp?

Started by
14 comments, last by Rockin 19 years, 6 months ago
Just wondering about a few things 1 Is gimp a fully functional program, and how would you would you rate it beside something like psp? 2 Do you personally use Gimp, and what our your thoughts/experience on it? If wonder wondering why I want to know this, it's because I'm thinking about becoming a half-decent artist. Thanks!
Advertisement
I can't help too much with your post, but I do use gimp. I made the "graphics" for my newest game using gimp and they came out decent. I should mention that I completely suck at making graphics so it's a pretty remarkable tool. I haven't used psp so I can't compare the two, but psp is probably better even if not by much. Gimp is a "fully fully" program though. Download it and check it out!
Thanks for you input!
Quote:Original post by ontheheap
Gimp is a "fully fully"

Yeah, I should probably read my posts befores posting them... [rolleyes]
The Gimp is a fully functional program that offers similar features as PSP. It even beats PSP at some points, like scripting support and filters.

I only use Gimp on Linux and PSP on windows, so I don't know photoshop plugins are supported by it. Since Gimp uses a totally different GUI approach (many seperate windows instead of PSP's MDI), it might look a little confusing at first.

Nevertheless it's an excellent application and its price is unbeatable [wink]
The Gimp is a fantastic tool.
It has a great user community, powerful options and many tutorials. As mentioned, the price is unbeatable.
Few down sides. The number 'seperate window' style can be confusing but you do get used to it.
My biggest gripe is many functions were created by different people (as it's open source) which mean they can have a different feel from each other.
Personally I use PSP as a more integrated product.
Give it a go yourself and see what you think.

The gimp has undergone a new face lift and looks much nicer and gui is improved. I use it for texturing. I haven't used psp so can't compare. Gimp has a nice gradient brush that could be used for making pipes for bumpmaps. Gimp also has vector drawing which is nice. It has cloud, noise, blur and all kinds of filters. It's quite feature laden. I like it.
The GIMP is an incredibly lousy tool if you've spent any time with Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. Its only saving grace is that it's free.
http://edropple.com
I've used Photoshop (Arrr, me hearties!) and in comparison, GIMP blows. However, as a stand-alone free app it is excellent. IMHO, the problem is not one of features, but of UI - everything was like 8 menus deep last time I used it - the idea being that you can "detach" frequently used menus.
-- Single player is masturbation.
Quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
The GIMP is an incredibly lousy tool if you've spent any time with Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. Its only saving grace is that it's free.

I'm sure with a statement like that you only ever used GIMP for Windows. Remember that GIMP is designed for Linux and not Windows, many people who complain about it giving errors have only ever used it on Windows. The GIMP has as many features as Photoshop and while I agree the PhotoShop is better suited to some tasks, GIMP is more versitile in some areas, especially texture making.

I'm no fan of PSP, Photoshop and GIMP are both very good.

The new gimp has gone horizontal instead of deep with the gui, so it's pretty much like any other windows app now. It has new icons for all menus.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement