MIDP2 not fully backwards compatible with MIDP1

Started by
5 comments, last by Woody FX 19 years, 6 months ago
I have been playing with the Stock MIDlet the comes with WTK (It is a part of the example MIDlet suite )! It works perfect on MIDP1 phones but not with MIDP2 phones. I took it out of the MIDlet suite and stripped away the rest of MIDlets and went through the code and could not see anything wrong! Are there any problems between MIDP 1 an it MIDP2 The program is passing a stock Symbol through to Yahoo Finance web page and getting the stock data back! It is using HTTP obviously! This is working perfect on a MIDP1 phone and works in the Emulators! Has anybody an idea of what the problem could be? There is an IOException being generated? When the program is run on MIDP2 Handsets! Really really stuck on this one! Thanks Brian
Advertisement
Is the handset properly configured to access the web from J2ME? Are there any MIDlets that connect to the web that do work on the phone.

Networking with J2ME is a very problematic field regardless of the MIDP version. The telcos need to supply an appropiate gateway that's compatible with the device's networking quirks and the phones need to be configured properly. The big problem is that there are no standards really when it comes to this, so setting it up can be a real pain.

shmoove
Hey Shmoove,
Yeah i have tried it on known good handsets! The problem is only occuring on MIDP2 handsets and all the MIDP1 handsets work fine! I cant be the first to have hit this problem! Anybody else experience this?

Anybody got an inkaling what it could be?

Thanks,
Brian
Perhaps the problem lies in the way the midlet polls the http stream for data?
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
Doesn't MIDP2 have have a security system added to it so that only signed apps can access certain functions (in this case, the HTTP stream)?

Skizz
That could be it. Try adding the proper permission entries to the jad file.

shmoove
Thanks i think that is the problem! Will get the Jad sorted out!

You learn something new everyday!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement