• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
steg

Meshes

This topic is 5460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Ok, I've got passed the stage of drawing simple shapes with D3D, all the shapes have been hand coded (cube, pyramid, the usual stuff). Now, I want to be able to say draw a car and load it up. What modelling package is good to use and which saves the object as xfile format ? After this, I want to animate the mesh, how is animation achieved in a modelling package ? Best regards, Steve

Advertisement
3D Studio i think offers the most inyuitive aspects of modelling, but callagri's gamespace light is very good also. Both allow you to animate in everyway imaginable. Also the latter product is free to use, and downloadable.

On another note, where abouts in manchester are you? I'm 4th year UMIST.

Cheers David,

3dMax is expensive...What about Milkshape 3d ? This looks good and easy to use.

I'm in Bolton, work in Manchester (Heald Green). UMIST eh, nice university ;-)

Where abouts are you ?

Just behind Piccadilly station.

Are you particularly interested in graphics programming? You in a team?

I'm at one of the best uni's in the UK and can't find any decent games programmers!

Blender3D is another editor worth a look.

You forgot to mention GameSpace callagri's software sucks like a donkey! Try Blender3D.com for a very good animating package.

By the way, Milkshape3D is not free & not advanced enough.

And Blender 3D has an DirectX X File exporter, too.

Hi David,

I am interested in game development, only really just started to get back to using DirectX.

I am a senior software engineer doing applications, mainly in C++ using MFC, a lot of it using Embedded Visual studio. As for in a team, nope, I just do the games coding as a hobby, like I say, just trying to get back into it.

Milkshape is good and enough for modeling simple shapes. If your going to do this on a higher level (say modelling of humans for example) you should get yourself a good package like Max, if your budget allows.

You could do 2 things in order to animate a model (there are others, of course). Either by doing the animation inside the file, while modelling (meaning all animation details are stored in the model file, like for example, Key frames), or you could declare bones, etc, inside the file and use an engine to create the animations on the fly, based on the enviroment the model is in.

With the second you could do stuff like more advanced phyisics where the model actually seems to be "blending" in to his enviroment. With the first method you are stuck to the routines given. A combination of both is probably the best.

Well, inside the Modelling App, animating an object varies from Program to program, some companies do it this way, some that way. The only way to play safe is to safe each keyframe as a seperate Model file. This takes up alot more space than a single file, but does the job (yet slower).

:)

Milkshape is affordable at 20.00. I think it does a good job for simple, low-poly meshes. Blender is open source and so the bad might come with the good, but I haven't tried it yet (been meaning to, I hear it's comparable to high-end programs like Max). If you are interested, there is a book for 3D models, the file structures for popular ones, and examples of loading them. It's in the Andre LaMoth Game Development Series, the books I live by.

Good luck,
Chris

Cheers Chris,

Been looking at Blender, looks some what more complex than Milkshape3D. Will use Milkshape for a while and save up for 3d studio, what are you thoughts on 3d studio ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!