• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Greyish

Windows Books

This topic is 5403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive just recently finished Beginning C++ Game Programming, and wanted to move on to windows and graphics. I bought Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX, and while im sure I can use it later, I dont feel I'm quite ready for it yet. I was looking at Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, 2nd ed., and it seems like it may be a good choice. would this be a good book for me to learn windows programming with, keeping in mind that I have no experience in windows programming at all. Thx

Advertisement
I learned almost everything I know about basic Windows programming from TWGPG.

It covers everything from setting up a window to using GDI and then after all the windows SDK stuff it goes onto DirectX,
game physics and creating AI for your game, it's probably one of the best books you'll find.

What compiler does that book use? Its always nice when it matches up with what you have(im using Dev-C++). One of the contributing factors that made my other book hard to follow.

The 1st Edition used Visual C++ 6.0, and the second probable uses the same. The first came with an introductory version of VC++6.0. The first edition has problems if you try and use it now (with the way DirectX has changed from 7 to 8 (and all the newer versions - Microsoft looks like it's dropping Direct3D and replacing it with a different interface to render)) The book is good for learning basic windows stuff. -To create a basic win32 Shell to do all your interfacing from. I learned to do win32 API from this book and I use OpenGL to do all my graphic content. If you wanted to start now, go look up NeHe's tutorials.

I have a copy of TWGPG and I like it a lot. It doesn't go in depth with the winapi stuff, but it teaches you enough of the basics to start writing windows apps and games. It doesn't teach direct3d, instead it focuses on DirectDraw. Personally, I don't see this is as problem because I'm not at all interested in doing 3d stuff right now. The book comes with a copy of VC++ 6.0 Introductory Edition and you cannot distribute any code compiled with it. I'd say just use Dev-Cpp instead. All of the code in the book has compiled just fine for me so far. I definitely recommend that book.

Hi there,
I suggest you to read the Windows Programming Gurus... Second Edition focuses again on Visual C++, but if you are confortably enough with your Dev environment I think it will be easy to follow the examples. It is definitely a good guide to learn from. Moreover, if you want to go really in depth in Windows Programming, I suggest you to pick a copy of Charles Petzold's book "Programming Windows", which is THE definitive guide to Windows API, although it doesn't thread game programming aspects.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!