OpenGL acceleration

Started by
2 comments, last by mars_888 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m a bit confused about how OpenGL handles acceleration. I know that with Direct3D you have to enumerate the videodevices and a whole lot more before it will run in fullscreen accelerated mode. Can anyone tell me how this is done in OpenGL? Is acceleration turned on automatically when it is available or do you need to use the OpenGL extensions to use it? Any comments about this would be greately apreciated.
Prosser: But the plans were on display.Arthur Dent: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar.Prosser: That's the display department.Arthur Dent: With a torch.Prosser: The lights had probably gone.Arthur Dent: So had the stairs.Prosser: But you did see the notice, didn't you?Arthur Dent: Oh, yes. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying "Beware of the Leopard." Ever thought of going into advertising?
Advertisement
It is all done in the drivers that came with you card. If your card can use hardware to accelerate your calls then it will. If it can''t it won''t. If you want to do some of the more fancy tricks then you have to do the extension thing.

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Thanks for the explenation. I was beginning to get the feeling it was something like this, seeing that I couldn''t find much about it on the internet. This is a LOT easier then D3D then :D
Prosser: But the plans were on display.Arthur Dent: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar.Prosser: That's the display department.Arthur Dent: With a torch.Prosser: The lights had probably gone.Arthur Dent: So had the stairs.Prosser: But you did see the notice, didn't you?Arthur Dent: Oh, yes. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying "Beware of the Leopard." Ever thought of going into advertising?
check the faq http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/mswindows.htm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement