• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikael_j

BSD sockets with C++

This topic is 6441 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of any good online tutorials on how to do network coding with BSD sockets, using C++. I''ve found dozens of C tutorials but I want a C++ tutorial, since it''s my language of choice. I''d much rather use classes than structs...

Advertisement
I''m not sure what C++ classes there are for doing socket programming, other than the MFC CSocket and CAsyncSocket classes. So if you''re not coding for Windows, I can''t really help you.

The CAsyncSocket class is very easy to use, and is asynchronous (it doesn''t block). You create a derived class, override members such as OnReceive() which are automatically called when data is received on the socket. It''s really nice.

I don''t know of any tutorials specific to the MFC socket classes, but I had no trouble learning how to use them by using the MSDN as a reference, and Beej''s Guide To Sockets. It''s a C BSD sockets tutorial, but it''s still very helpful since the MFC classes are essentially the same.

Beej''s Guide - http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/

Another option would be to search for an MFC sockets tutorial.

Good luck,
-mother

Well, once you get a good grasp on sockets programming, you should be able to figure out a good class layout. I have written a library for myself that encompasses Winsock 2 with Overlapped I/O... The following are the names of the classes with a short description of each:

CIp - Handles string -> IP and IP -> string conversions etc...
CHost - Host object responsible for name resolution.
CSock - Abstract base class
CBSock - Blocking Socket
CCBSock - Overlapped I/O Socket clsss using Completion Functions.
CCPSock - Overlapped I/O Socket class using a Completion Port
CnetMsg - Wraps a WSABUF structure and contains a Reference Counting Interface much like COM Interfaces. When I queue a Send, I increment the reference count, when it completes, I decrement it and if it is zero, the message is deleted. Allows me to use a single WSABUF and have multiple I/O operations outstanding at once against that single buffer.

That''s pretty much it. There are of course things I am missing CAsyncSock is one, but I pretty much exclusively use CBSock for client apps, and CCPSock for server apps I know will only be running on NT/2K.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!