White dots & strings of dots in many games, what exactly are they??

Started by
10 comments, last by Motorhead 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m using an ATI card and I have ''em too. The only game that I''ve seen them in is Motocross Madness. I guess the reason that you haven''t seen them in the past, but are seeing them "now"(in the last couple of years), is because then number of polygons have gone up. That''s also probably why you see them in games with large open areas, they''re more polygons in larger areas. And also the a lot of the polygons are "farther"(meaning the Z value is higher) away from you so the math is less precise. That''s the only thing I can think of. Then anon poster said something about as resolutions go up, you''ll see less of them. Maybe try playing the games at a higher resolution (800x600 instead of 640x480 maybe?). Hope your search for inner peace and a rested state of mind about the issue comes to a happy conclusion.

"We are the music makers, and the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
Advertisement
Can you show us a screen shot? I''m thinking you may be talking about the textures you sometimes see through other textures due to the presision lost on the Z-Buffer calculation.

An example is when you''re in a FPS game. If you zoom in on someone that''s really far away and behind a wall, in somesituations, you can see him due to the Z-Buffer precision loss.

For now, you just have to live with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement