Floating point rounding woes

Started by
9 comments, last by Charles B 19 years, 6 months ago
Is there a good way to chop off the value of a float beyond a certain accuracy? I want to get rid of anything smaller than 0.001 but keep the rest of the value. For example, 2.1005 would become 2.100. (I'm doing this in C++, by the way.)
Advertisement
For a given precision p,
Find the magnitude of your number m=⌊log10 |x|⌋
Divide the number by 10m-p
Round off
Multiply by 10m-p

Would that do?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yowza, that looks computationally expensive, but if there's no other way. Thanks for the reply!
Quote:Original post by griminventions
Yowza, that looks computationally expensive, but if there's no other way. Thanks for the reply!

There can very well be, that's just the first thing that came to my mind.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I came to the conclusion that instead of chopping out the tiny fractions giving me problems, I can ignore values below a threshold to solve the problem effectively. But thanks for the replies!
It's not very computation expensive. However, a float cannot represent a value like 2.1 exactly, so you will still only get an approximation of that value.
I managed to decrease the frequency of the problem, but rounding errors are still causing trouble. I'll try the formula Fruny gave.
Well, I ended up starting with a double, then casting to a float. It seems to have done the job. Thanks for your input, guys!
floorf (x * 1000.0f) * 0.0001f;
Mi mistake
floorf (x * 1000.0f) * 0.001f;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement