• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
load_bitmap_file

(Possibly stupid question) Will I need a DX 9 card to render in DX 9?

This topic is 5402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've just started programming with DirectX 9 and I suddenly remembered that I don't have a DirectX 9 card. It's DX 8. So... will all the DX 9 code I write be using software emulation or something? Maybe it's time to get one of those nice radeon 9x00 cards.

Advertisement
You only need a DX9 card for using DX9 level features - E.g. the newer pixel shaders (someone else feel free to expand on this, I don't know exactly what the DX9 features are)

But generally - No. You can do pretty much everything fine.

No, you will be able to write and run D3D9 applications, without using a DX9 card (such as a GF3 or GF4). However, you just won't be able to use as many features. For example, you can't use Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 with a GeForce4 card. To determine exactly what is and isn't supported, check the CapsViewer, or the D3DCAPS9 structure.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!