n00b here wanting to get started...

Started by
3 comments, last by Illumini 19 years, 6 months ago
problem is i don't know where to start...im planning to major in Computer Science next semester...any help guys. i have NOT had any experience programming anything...i wanna know where the easiest place to start would be. *Guessing 2d games or something* can anyone recommend some good books filled with tutorials...
Advertisement
Right here on GameDev.net, check the articles section. Many, many good sources of information there. You can also google for keywords like Beginning game programming tutorials, or some variation thereof. I can't recommend any good beginning game programming books. However if you look at the main page of this site they have a list near the top of the page for book reviews.
It's labeled Latest Reviews, I believe. Check there.

Hope this helps,
JD
Welcome.

The FAQ has a few pointers also. [smile]
I like the "C Primer Plus" book, and I've heard "Learn C++ in 21 days" is good to.
A few words on advice choosing a first language... C++ may not neccesarily be the best choice, you may want to try either C or C#. They are both quite different than C++ but learning either of them will get you started on learning C++.

If you try jumping right in to C++ without a background in either you will probably get confused quite a bit, since C++ is really C (which it cant hurt to learn) with object oriented structures added in (which would be easier to learn in C#).

In the end the choice is yours, but it's a C++ is big language by todays standards and it might be easier to come at with background in either C syntax or object oriented programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement