• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nickwinters

[.net] DirectPlay is deprecated. Now what?

This topic is 5400 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So MS has deprecated DirectPlay, and they no longer plan to support it. Any advice on what networking library I should use? DirectPlay was soooo easy to use. I want something that simple. Thanks. -Nick

Advertisement
at the moment they are still supporting... but no future development is going to be done on the product, same as direct draw.

In the next release XNA or DirectX10 there will be another solution starting. There is a brief note in the readme file about it, Something to do with security concerns.

With managed directX you can always go to the TCP Helper classes and code your solution from there.

I'm just using the UDPClient from the framework. I'll probably do custom serialization of my map class into a byte array and just send that.

I haven't implemented it yet, though, so I don't know what problems I might run into that might make me change my plans. I know it'll be a lot of work.

Make sure you take into account that the UDP is not guarented to get to the destination and in the correct order, I would make the UDP Packets as small as posible.

One Idea I had was to connect to the server via TCP and have the main server functions work within it. Then as the system I am working on is based on Community interaction ie chat. I would invoke a peer to peer system based on UDP that would handle the community chat system. This would mean that the Chat traffic would not go through my server and affect my bw.

Wouldn't it be more important for chat to get through than standard server comm? If a chat message doesn't get through it will confuse people, and it isn't really time-critical, so I would think that chat is a good place for TCP.

With game status, however, the client can continue even if a frame is skipped, but you want it to be as fast as possible, so UDP would be better.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!