• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
garrofi

MD5 Importer for 3ds MAX 6.0

This topic is 5405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have updated my homepage with an utility for 3ds max 6.0 to import md5 files from doom III. It creates a skin modifier for the geometry. It supports animation too. You can download source code and binary files at www.telefonica.net/web/codegarrofi

Advertisement
Looks cool, say, would you mind if I convert it over to gameSpace?

I am trying to compile it though I dont have the Max headers and libs, and I am getting a lot of errors which I think are Max SDK related:

objimp.h(7) : error C2504: 'UtilityObj' : base class undefined
objimp.h(9) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
objimp.h(9) : error C2501: 'OBJImport::INode' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
objimp.h(9) : error C2501: 'OBJImport::m_pParentNode' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
objimp.h(21) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'INode'
objimp.h(22) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Interface'
objimp.h(23) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Interface'
objimp.h(25) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Interface'
objimp.h(26) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Interface'
objimp.h(28) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Interface'
objimp.h(29) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Control'
objimp.h(31) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<'
objimp.h(31) : error C2501: 'OBJImport::Tab' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
objimp.h(31) : error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
objimp.h(32) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
objimp.h(32) : error C2501: 'OBJImport::INode' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
objimp.h(32) : error C2501: 'OBJImport::GetNodeByName' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
objimp.h(32) : warning C4183: 'GetNodeByName': missing return type; assumed to be a member function returning 'int'
objimp.h(35) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'Interface'
objimp.h(36) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'INode'
objimp.cpp(22) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Simpobj.h': No such file or directory

could you take a look and tell me if those are Max related or if perhaps you forgot a file or two on the zip?

I'll try to get it to compile striped of all Max stuff

Thanks [smile]

Quote:
game developpers

Right, because iD certainly wouldn't mind other dev houses using a proprietary model format without licensing the engine.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Actually as far as I recall they don't mind

Right under the Legality title:
Quote:

Using id Software file formats in a publicly distributed application always seemed a little questionable to me in terms of legality. In preparation of this document I contacted id Software to resolve the issue; John Carmack was kind enough to send along this response:

"We do not legally protect the file formats, but you can't use any of the released tools, or tools derived from them (except the GPL'd Quake 1 tools) to generate content for a commercial venture. If you are writing everything yourself, no problem."

Using or distributing their data files without permision is a whole different thing, but no one is doing it here.

Actually as far as I recall they don't mind

Right under the Legality title:
Quote:

Using id Software file formats in a publicly distributed application always seemed a little questionable to me in terms of legality. In preparation of this document I contacted id Software to resolve the issue; John Carmack was kind enough to send along this response:

"We do not legally protect the file formats, but you can't use any of the released tools, or tools derived from them (except the GPL'd Quake 1 tools) to generate content for a commercial venture. If you are writing everything yourself, no problem."

Using or distributing their data files without permision is a whole different thing, but no one is doing it here.

I see. Consider me owned then :-)

(So then why did Robert, iD's lead programmer, say no to an MD5 exporter at the QuakeCon Q&A session?)

I do not know, I would have to read the context to be able to tell, maybe he was saying they won't release an exporter themselves (I think they never did for MD2, you had to export all frames as .3ds and then compile with some executable the collection of frames into a MD2), maybe its related to the fact that if you create content with their tools (Radiant for example) you are not allowed to make money out of it (that goes along the build your own tools dammit! [smile]), but again, I would have to know what the context was there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!