• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bilsa

Buffer Security Check - MS VS .NET?

This topic is 5461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! While checking out some optimization settings in VS .NET 2003 I noticed that my template code worked like 300% faster in heavy loops on like 1000000000 loops when I disabled "Buffer Security Check" in the "Project settings"->"Code Generation" Now is this an important setting, if not then I rather have my code work 300% faster! :) c ya!

Advertisement
It sounds like it's there to prevent buffer overflow problems (where you read 200 characters into a char[100], and your using the next 100 bytes of memory to store passwords...). These are a serious security issue in C/C++ code, and have repeatedly embarrassed Microsoft over the last few years.

Having said that this is a game, and assuming it's not a MMORPG or something, security is hardly the most important issue. I would suggest that you just disable them around the most time-critical affected pieces of code if possible, but I don't know what the commands to do that are.

maybe there's a pragma to disable the check around code you *known* will be safe..
ofcourse you have to be really carefull in deciding if code is safe or not..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!