Doom 3 Released

Started by
14 comments, last by Doc 19 years, 6 months ago
Doom 3 has been released for Linux. Here is the /. article. Still doesn't matter much to me though because there is no way my laptop can handle that game =(
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ontheheap
Still doesn't matter much to me though because there is no way my laptop can handle that game =(
Ditto! *cries*

Damn you intel integrated graphics! Why can't you be faster? Or at least support fragment programs?
the system requirements are quite a bit lower for the linux version, I wonder why..
i've already downloaded 200 mb off bittorrent! there are ~300 people downloading and ~400 seeds. i was getting an average 80 kB/sec, shooting up to 100 and down to 60 sometimes.

i can't wait. i really havn't played any linux games. i want to get ut2004 but never got around to it. plus it's doom 3. i get to see if it lives upto the hype.
Surely they are not just giving the game away for free? I hope you are not pirating.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Quote:Original post by CodeMunkie
Surely they are not just giving the game away for free? I hope you are not pirating.

YEAH!

DAMN PIRATES! Downloading from a bit torrent hosted by this 'idsoftware.com'! I'm reporting this 'idsoftware.com' to the FBI for pirating Doom3!
Just checking! I'm surprised that is all. Sorry for the insinuation. I forget you Linux kooks get everything for free!
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
um yea... i downloaded the doom 3 demo for linux (bittorrent hosted by id software).

i had trouble getting it to work (i got failed to initialize gl). so i had to edit Xservers and add -depth 24 to the /usr/X11/bin/X command. then i restarted (i use kdm, not sure if this is necessary).

so i'm playing the demo now.

i get to this one part in the demo that keeps crashing my computer. after i get past the first guy and talk to the second, it crashes. hum.

ok. this is it. on my system the demo is way to unstable and crashes more every time i try to play it.

i got a 1.2 ghz system, 256mb ram and gefore 2 gts. anybody else have any luck?

[Edited by - clayasaurus on October 5, 2004 8:22:20 PM]
i get to see if it lives upto the hype.

Just to burst your bubble, it doesn't.. Don't expect too much from it, but I can say I'm liking it alot more now they've released it for linux.
Quote:Original post by clayasaurus
i got a 1.2 ghz system, 256mb ram and gefore 2 gts. anybody else have any luck?

i think thats your problem! Doom3 (last time I checked) needed a minimum of 360meg ram and a DX9 compatible graphics card ... you have neither :P

might be diff for linux, but even so GeForce2's don't support any of the stuff thats cool ... playing it on that would be like playing motzart on my plastic recorder - just painfull beyond belief!

Edit: Ok according to the webpage linked you only need 256meg ram, but your GFX card is still way below minimum.

As for the hype - graphically its lives upto it in my oppinion ... looks stunning and I've yet to see anything that matched it. As for gameplay its not all it could've been but I still thought it was fun, but I wouldn't bother playing it through again. Either way nothing ever lives upto the hype - thats why its called hype and not truth :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement