Where do I begin?

Started by
7 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
For the past 6 months I've taken a break from programming, and now I'm back into it so I decided to re-read my DX book. When creating a basic wrapper for DX, where do I begin? The question may be too vague, but I'm really not sure where I start.
Advertisement
Go to the documentation and check out

Tutorial 1: CreateDevice

;)
There are also countless tutorials online on getting started. Just hit Google and see what comes up.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Or check out any of these tutorial sites.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I know how to get the device and all of that, I just don't know where to start when creating a wrapper for it all.

For example, if I'm going to use a function to sort out the poly's so I don't render any that don't need to be visible. What type of structures am I going to have to use? How do I order all of that?
The FAQ's! They have received a huge update and are an excellent resource now.
Get the latest directX sdk and go throught the tutorials. Create your own classes to control each element. I started with a display class, added an input class, then an audio class(mp3 is real easy with dx9), and then I made my own font and Gui classes. The sdk documentation is great, when you need help figuring out where to go next look aroung in the forums here they are great. Also drunk hyena tutorials are a great starting place
http://www.drunkenhyena.com/cgi-bin/dx9.pl
Quote:Original post by PumpkinPieman
For example, if I'm going to use a function to sort out the poly's so I don't render any that don't need to be visible. What type of structures am I going to have to use? How do I order all of that?

Well, let's start with figuring out exactly what you know. Have you ever had a formal course in CS? Are you familiar with binary trees, sorting algorithms, etc.?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by PumpkinPieman

Well, let's start with figuring out exactly what you know. Have you ever had a formal course in CS? Are you familiar with binary trees, sorting algorithms, etc.?
I haven't had a course on them, but yes I am familiar with them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement