Need help on laptop decision for game dev.

Started by
22 comments, last by Hoser 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, I'm in the position to purchase a new laptop, and I would like some advice. I'll mainly be using it for game development, surfing the net, and playing games. I have decided that I would like to purchase an AMD Athlon64 based system (better performance/price), but most of the systems I have seen come with a 64MB NVidia graphics card, whereas there are Pentium systems available with ATI 128MB graphics card. For the amount of money I'm willing to spend, I can get an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ system with 1GB ram and the 64MB nVidia gfx card, or I could get a 3GHz P4 w/ 512 MB ram and 128MB ATI gfx card. Would it be better to lean more towards the higher end CPU (with 64 bit capability) rather than the better video card? I'm leaning more towards the AMD system... Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Dang. That's money.

My laptop has a Celeron and an integrated graphics card.

Then again, I'm not a huge gamer...
Dell. Any other answer is wrong.
I've been saving up to upgrade for a long time...I'm upgrading from a P2, 350MHz desktop...
I'd go for the one with the ATI card, myself.
Go for the AMD64. You'll notice a difference when Windows gets out of the Stone Age and goes 64-bit outside of beta.

I bought a Powerbook, personally, but I do a lot of OpenGL work under Linux and I felt it was the best machine to grab.
I'd get the Radeon.. if you're going to be gaming, the bottleneck will be the video card and not your processor.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
You might want to take a look at what Alienware has to offer. They make some beastly laptops.

Dell is a joke.
How much are you willing to spend? You can get your ideal system (AMD Anthlon 64 with a 128 meg ATI Mobility Radeon 9700) for just about $2000 from sager notebooks.
Quote:Original post by jsloan
Dell is a joke.

What is your background/experience for saying this? Do you mean solely in terms of home systems/laptops?
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement