• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jiia

Effect Handles

This topic is 5404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Bah, MS [disturbed] Can anyone make sense of this?
Quote:
DirectX Documentation: ID3DXEffect::GetParameterByName Method -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gets the handle of a top-level parameter or a structure member parameter by looking up its name. Syntax D3DXHANDLE GetParameterByName( D3DXHANDLE hParameter, LPCSTR pName ); hParameter [in] Handle of the parameter, or NULL for top-level parameters. See Handles. pName [in] String containing the parameter name.
vs
Quote:
DirectX Documentation: When setting uniform shader constants, it is more efficient to cache a handle to the parameter by calling ID3DXEffect::GetParameterByName. This avoids the string lookup that is necessary when calling effect methods like ID3DXEffect::SetMatrix. // Instead of setting a uniform constant like this in the render loop g_pEffect->SetMatrix( "g_mWorldViewProjection", &mWorldViewProjection ); // Get a handle to a uniform constant outside of the render loop D3DXHANDLE hParameter; GetParameterByName( hParameter,"g_mWorldViewProjection"); ... // Use the handle to set the uniform constant in the render loop g_pEffect->SetMatrix(hParameter);
I don't understand what's going on. D3DXHANDLE is defined as "const char*". How could GetParameterByName( hParameter,"g_mWorldViewProjection"); be filling hParameter with a handle? The parameter is even accepted as [in]. Also, what is up with "g_pEffect->SetMatrix(hParameter);". How exactly is that setting a matrix in the shader? There isn't even a matrix being passed? I've tried using the return value, but it turns out null. There are no error codes to speak of. Anyone know how to do this? [smile]

Advertisement

D3DXHANDLE h;
ID3DXEffect* effect=<foo>;

h=effect->GetParameterByName(0, "g_mWorldViewProjection");

That should work, that will give you the handle in h. Instead of using h as a pointer to a string they use it as an integer since a pointer is just an integer.

Works for me at least :)

edit: Perhaps I should clarify that 0 there. That means that you want to search for the parameter from the beginning of the effect. You could pass in a valid handle to start searching from that point on. If you get 0 as return value something went wrong.

Good luck

Hmmm. It's not working for me. That's what I tried originally, but the return values are null. I guess that means I'm screwing up somewhere before this, heh.

Thanks much for your help [smile]

EDIT: Thanks for the EDIT to clear up that first parameter [lol]

EDIT2: Damn. I was trying to get a technique handle using this method. That's why one of the return values was null. I didn't realize there was an entirely different function for that.

Thanks again!

[Edited by - Jiia on October 5, 2004 4:35:19 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!