• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ctaclas

whats the best direct x book?

This topic is 5459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i've got a discount on a purchase from the bookstore so i'm gonna buy a book this weekend. i was wondering if anybody knows what's the best book available on direct x programming. i know c++ and a little c#, but i think i wanna keep focusing on c++ for now, and hold off on the managed code for now. i've skimmed over a couple of the beginner tutorials for direct x, but i haven't really done anything yet. i was wondering if you guys have any particular book you'd recommend. i'd like to get something that is up to date, i don't want it to be a battle to compile the examples for the first time. i'd like it to be something that explains stuff thoroughly without being boring. i'd also like it to be at the right skill level. i'm not a beginner programmer, but i'm no pro either. heres one of the ones i was looking at. the reviews seem good. anybody here looked at it? Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=422 thats like the second edition of the book here: http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=172 if they don't have the second edition is the first edition good too? or should i hold off for the second edition? thanks

Advertisement
Check this one:

=============================================================

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556229135/102-4414991-2247357?v=glance

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0
by Frank D. Luna

.- Plus, you can ask questions in his web, if you have problems understanding something or problems with the source code.
.- Plus, you have C# ports of the (C++) source code. (in the web)

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'd definately say go for Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX.I can't rate this book(either edition) high enough,if your starting out with DirectX.

Don't be put off by the title,it has a LOT of info in there,that will be useful to ya.
Just my opinion -;)

Quote:
Original post by brunogmd
Check this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556229135/102-4414991-2247357?v=glance

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0
by Frank D. Luna

.- Plus, you can ask questions in his web, if you have problems understanding something or problems with the source code.
.- Plus, you have C# ports of the (C++) source code. (in the web)
I second that one. The author has also posted some articles on his site, covering things not included in the book.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The docs that come with the SDK are pretty good, and free.

yeah i been going over the docs for the sdk, they're surprisingly good, but theres just something about being able to hold a book in my hands that i like. i know i could print the docs, but its not the same... :)

Install DX9c (Summer Update 2004)... check the docs... they are extremely good reference now.

Luck!
Guimo

Errr... mmmmm... thats right... its just I remembered them from previous versions... :)

Luck!
Guimo

IMHO, spending $40-$60 on a DX programming book may be a waste of your time (and money). Every purchase of a general-purpose DirectX book that I have made has ended is disappointment. There are plenty of tutorial sites here that are free, much more to-the-point, and have their material backed by the community.

However, if you really *do* want to buy a book, I'd recommend buying a specialized book. Like these:

GPU Gems
Shader X2

Real-Time Rendering (highly recommended)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!