• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dist0rted

Question - Learning Direct3D

This topic is 5388 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have the book, "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming" and it teaches it by using the Common Files, but all the tutorials I see don't use them. Would I be able to get help from the community? (As in does anybody else know about using the Common Files for Direct3D?) EDIT: It's called the Sample Framework, not Common Files (dumb me). Heh and get this - I'm trying to learn Direct3D from Microsoft.com - what a hassle, eh? [Edited by - dist0rted on October 6, 2004 12:17:34 AM]

Advertisement
In my opinion you should try writing your own little framework for Direct3D, since the one given by Microsoft is pretty... wierd... and writing your own gives you alot more flexibility. Try some non-MS tutorials, they are mostly the better ones, hehe.

Good luck

Guest Anonymous Poster
That book you are reading is garbage. It is the worst written piece of trash I have laid eyes on (well, next to my $100 simulation book that has no coherence whatsoever).

You'd be MUCH better off buying '3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0' by Frank Luna than wasting time reading that book. Seriously, the book you mentioned has no clear direction, no goals laid out, no focus whatsoever. It's like the author wrote down whatever popped into his mind at the moment.

I'm not slamming Engel, he is obviously a smart man and knows his DX, but his teaching method is terrible.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should write a book ^^^

Quote:
Original post by SturmNacht
In my opinion you should try writing your own little framework for Direct3D, since the one given by Microsoft is pretty... wierd... and writing your own gives you alot more flexibility. Try some non-MS tutorials, they are mostly the better ones, hehe.

Good luck

Have you looked at the new sample framework in the Summer 2004 SDK Update? It's a lot nicer than the old one and is a pretty good base for trying out your own ideas.

Quote:
Original post by mattnewport
Quote:

Good luck

Have you looked at the new sample framework in the Summer 2004 SDK Update? It's a lot nicer than the old one and is a pretty good base for trying out your own ideas.

Hey guys, I am new here and it looks like I have finally found a place that may be able to help me.

I bought the 2nd edition of Engel's "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming" and was unable to get Engel's source to compile correctly until I UNINSTALLED the 9.0C Summer Update and installed the 9.0 SDK that came with the book. Evidently there were some changes that will cause the source not to compile correctly. Engel's e-mail address bounces, and the publisher lists no errata or source on thier site. :(

This sucks because the Summer Update is now the OFFICIAL MS STANDARD with regard to DirectX 9.0. And what is worse is that this is the 3rd Game Development book IN A ROW I have purchased which had good reviews through most channels and claimed to have targeted DX9, yet will not compile with the Summer Update DirectX 9.0c SDK. I guess we should all just write a book. Doesn't matter if it works or not, none of these clowns will update the source code to the book I just shelled $50+ for.

What is the deal?

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck

Hmmm, sounds good :) Haven't tried out any of the new DirectX versions yet. Thanks for the input

Quote:
This sucks because the Summer Update is now the OFFICIAL MS STANDARD with regard to DirectX 9.0. And what is worse is that this is the 3rd Game Development book IN A ROW I have purchased which had good reviews through most channels and claimed to have targeted DX9, yet will not compile with the Summer Update DirectX 9.0c SDK. I guess we should all just write a book. Doesn't matter if it works or not, none of these clowns will update the source code to the book I just shelled $50+ for.

What is the deal?

Sounds like an interesting proposition, the gamedev community writing a book on the new c version. Maybe not directly a full book but rather a compilation of various tutorials? Cause its pretty hard to have multiple people writing a single book :P in my opinion. Never tried it tough

Quote:
Original post by ironwill2000
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck

Hey guys, I am new here and it looks like I have finally found a place that may be able to help me.

I bought the 2nd edition of Engel's "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming" and was unable to get Engel's source to compile correctly until I UNINSTALLED the 9.0C Summer Update and installed the 9.0 SDK that came with the book. Evidently there were some changes that will cause the source not to compile correctly. Engel's e-mail address bounces, and the publisher lists no errata or source on thier site. :(

What is the deal?

Until you understand the DirectX API more you should stick with the SDK version that came with the book (or which the book uses). At least that way you can compile the code.

With each new versions of the SDK, Microsoft tends to change things! Like for the 9.0c SDK they changed the X file interfaces which completley messed up the animation code I had from Jim Adams book "Advanced Animation With DirectX". You don't want that sort of issue when you are starting out so use what the book uses.

Also, choose a book, work your way through it and stick with it as much as you can! You'll never get anywhere chopping and changing texts when you are starting out!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!