editing computer games?

Started by
6 comments, last by sunandshadow 20 years, 4 months ago
What do you think about the idea of editing computer games? I was thinking about the idea bacause I just got my first real assignment in editing class (ENGL 417) today, and the personal essay I have to work with is almost as cruddy as the average hackneyed RPG plot. For what kind of games would having an editor on the design team be a good investment? How about having one on the playtesting team?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Oh yes. This would be a much needed boon for the industry.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I''m not sure. Do you mean for editing levels, characters, and such?

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
If you mean strictly in terms of text, QA''s job is to be the editor.

But if you mean in terms of content editor, that''s the producer''s job. So on an RPG the producer would have say over the writer / designer''s story, or would provide "editorial" on an outside house''s submission.

I''m not sure there''s enough work for an editor to do today. I''m thinking of the role of today''s editors, and the amount of material they review. There''s so much material that an editor''s *really* needed.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) most of today''s RPG storylines are really no more than pamphlets or novellas. But if games get to the phase of novels or trilogies in terms of story lines, I can see employing editors full time for text and content consistency and quality.

We''re waaaaay too small right now.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Oh that kind of editing. Man, I get confused easily

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Actually wav, I think you''re misrepresenting the Producer''s job. The producer is there to make ends meet, usually to create his or her vision through this process. If I want the story to have a particular feel to the art, I hire this particular style of artist (or in my case, tell my artists to follow that style).

There is some creative control, but not much if you''re letting the team do their job. One member of my team IS a script editor, and he applies his trade all the time. It tends to give the material a more refined quality, which is definitely needed.

Editors do one very important thing, as well. They cut out UN-NEEDED CRAP. If you let a good editor play FFVII, he''d come up with to things. 1: The whole combat engine and advancement system (i.e. the "game" part) really blows and is a waste of time... 2. Much of the story and plot reversals need to be re-written to be more relevant. Oh yeah, and the dialog.

This is more than QA, because the editor is a writer. He doesn''t just point out what''s wrong, he fixes it.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Offtopic

Landfish:"If you let a good editor play FFVII, he''d come up with to things. 1: The whole combat engine and advancement system (i.e. the "game" part) really blows and is a waste of time...

1. So what would you have instead, and what would be the effect of getting rid of the "combat" system. (Which admittedly has little effect on plot). (BTW, I enjoyed the combat system, especially versus the bosses, and even the much maligned random encounters would work to add tension to otherwise dull map wondering sections.

Imagine if everytime there was a MAJOR combat sequence in the game, and you saw a cut-scene showing a dramatic sequence.. would this work?
I only have one (on topic) thing to say: Play Xenosaga.
Oh, and hi, SunandShadow, I noticed a thread by you, and decided to give it a special bump because I like your writing so much.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement