• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fathom88

Strange Socket Errors

This topic is 5401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a totally strange socket error. On Win 2000, my app communicates with another program on a UNIX machine. Most of the time it works fine. Once in a long while, I message intended for another PC. The connection is made dynamically; meaning it tries to re-connect when the connection is lost. However, all the network names and ports are passed via config file. How can message end up in the wrong place after socket is already bound to a specific host?? Has anyone come across a problem remotely like this?

Advertisement
Are you keeping your socket connected for a long period of time? Once a connection is established the host name information is no longer used and the ip address is used instead. If you are using DHCP on your network is is possible to connect then the client goes down and a new clients gets it's address and the server doesn't realise what has happened. I think this would be more likely for connectionless sockets (like UDP) however I've never been impressed with winsock's error handleing ability and would not be surprised if it failed to notice that a client has been dropped. This may also be a bug in your code. Are you checking to see if your clients are dropping off? Try connecting to the server then pulling the network cord and see what happens. If the client doesn't drop off the server then you have a problem there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!