Writing a book on SDL

Started by
4 comments, last by PnP Bios 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello. First time ever in this particular forum, usualy i'm a lounger. Judging by the title, I suppose this is where I need to post. I have been working on a tutorial series for SDL since about the beginning of summer. I have covered everything from system setup to video, to input, and the messaging system. I am about half done working with sound. What I was wondering is, would there be a high demand for a paper refrence/tutorial in the form of a book? Personally, I'd rather look up a function in a book than fire up a browser, and I can read it causualy anywhere I take it. My tutorials are linked to in my sig. I know that I would have to change how I word some stuff if I were to turn it into a book, but I think that generaly, I have what it takes to write such a book. I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts and input on the subject. Thanks in advance.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
My opinion is that unless the books adds significant value above and beyond the free or online documentation, it might as well not have been written. Of course, publishers don't share my opinion or the "Computers" sections at Borders and Barnes & Noble would be much smaller...

If it's simply a question of convenience (as opposed to a commercial venture), people can always print the tutorial out. Provide a printer friendly version, or even a PDF, PostScript or TeX version. If it's a commercial venture, start shopping for a publisher.
Ok, thanks.
Another thought I had was this, what if I published it my self, and just sold them through my site? It could be a hassle setting up the store, but then I would only need to supply the demand, like print up 20 copies at a time. There are some print shops in my town, the hardest thing would be getting a glossy cover. I think that would be a valid option, then I wouldn't have to fight with editors, all though I would get it edited. I wouldn't have to mess with how much I get paid or anything like that.

Oh, and congradulations on becomming staff!
I dont know, SDL hasn't changed all that much since Focus on SDL, as far as I can tell there is only the dynamic loading of shared libraries and some threading stuff added since.

I don't personally own Focus on SDL, even though I do own "Isometric Game programming with DX 7" and "Focus on 2D in D3D" both also by TANSTAFL, I don't feel the need for such a book being that the online SDL documentation is pretty good.

So, I guess find out what the sales figures on Focus on SDL are, and see if you think it will make you any money, either way, I've read comments by the authors of the Prima Tech authors saying that you don't really make much money, and they do it mostly because of their love for the craft.

Anyway, Good luck.
If you do you're gonna have to do better than Focus on SDL, or Programming Linux Games, and also you gotta remember that the SDL site has a ps of the documentation ready to be printed. Only way I can see it taking off, if it was titled how to make a game without paying for anything.. Anyhow that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Quote:Original post by eedok
If you do you're gonna have to do better than Focus on SDL, or Programming Linux Games, and also you gotta remember that the SDL site has a ps of the documentation ready to be printed. Only way I can see it taking off, if it was titled how to make a game without paying for anything.. Anyhow that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I think you have a point. But, again, basicly, just a printed version of my tutorials. I'm not looking to be a next Lamothe here. I just think I have a good set of tutorials, and they would be much easier to read on paper.

I do like the pitch about game development with no budget though. Bundle it with Dev-C++, Gimp, Blender, and all of the other goodies you don't need to pay for. Hmmm.... I could do that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement