• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ace23

Alternative usage of the graphics pipeline

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! I'm trying to use the programmable graphics pipleline (vertex or pixel shaders) to perform task that are not related to graphics. I have some experience in graphics programming but no clue how to access the output of the pipleline instead of displaying it. Since many of you guys here know much about graphics hardware I decided to ask if someone has some advice. thx

Advertisement
glReadPixels(), perhaps? If you render to an offscreen buffer you should be able to do this, and so get the 'image' containing your results without displaying them on the screen.

You didn't specify an API so I arbitrarily picked OpenGL. :)

You can render any scene to a texture, then you can read from that texture its r/g/b/a as data in any way that you want.

I'd just like to add that readback over the AGP bus is generally slow, this may or may not be a problem depending on what you're actually trying to do with the GPU.

Oh this site may be of interest to you. It's deadicated to the subject of using graphics hardware to perform general purpose calculations.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!