• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vicviper

undocumented common control macros (combobox_)

This topic is 5463 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was doing some stuff related to simple dialog box common control stuff, and I began getting a weird error... later, I realized it was because the name of my function giving the error was the same as a macro defined in the standard libs. The macro is ComboBox_GetItemData .... I found it in WindowsX.h , along with other useful ComboBox related macros... Then I tried to find info about them, and I was not able to find anything!, anywhere! I began using the macro and it is working very well... but I was wondering why these macros are not documented in the MSDN...

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Zul
Sounds like a Win32 API call, which are documented separately from the MSDN listings for studio, studio.net, and other MS IDEs. It's still in the MSDN though under Win32 API.

More here

Edit: With a little more research, GetItemData is a CComboBox function, which is part of MFC. Here's a reference page for the CCombobox class

hmmm... I was not able to find the macros in any of the links you provided.

The default msdn combobox help only shows 2 macros:

ComboBox_GetMinVisible
ComboBox_SetMinVisible

also, I tried to google these macros, and they only show very few hits (usually in MS sample code)... but no info at all

fact is, they're availiable and they work

Check out the second link I provided. Scroll down about one screen and you'll see GetItemData listed under methods. The combobox you're using is Win32 which != MFC. It's curious that the MFC macro calls would work though. Perhaps MS implemented some use of the MFC classes for Win32 in studio but didn't specifically document it? Regardless, that second link should provide you with more methods that you should have available.

Quote:
Original post by Zul
Check out the second link I provided. Scroll down about one screen and you'll see GetItemData listed under methods. The combobox you're using is Win32 which != MFC. It's curious that the MFC macro calls would work though. Perhaps MS implemented some use of the MFC classes for Win32 in studio but didn't specifically document it? Regardless, that second link should provide you with more methods that you should have available.

Umm, that's a class, hence those are methods in the class. Not macros. The macros have been in there for quite a while, and many of them are documented. Often times you will find, when looking up a particular message, that it will also mention the associated macro.

Quote:
Original post by Washu
Umm, that's a class, hence those are methods in the class. Not macros. The macros have been in there for quite a while, and many of them are documented. Often times you will find, when looking up a particular message, that it will also mention the associated macro.

Yep, you're right. I mis-spoke when referring to GetItemData. The only two macros that are listed in the msdn under ComboBox are the two vicviper mentioned.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!