• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MarkB

Character animation format

This topic is 5460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a good bones type animation file format that I can build my engine around. Sure, I could come up with one myself but it seems like a good idea to be more compatible with more stuff. I have looked at and understand MD2, but it is key-frame based. Key-frame animation is old-school with artifacts, so is there a standardized bones type animation format? Is there some non-propritary, open, format? I would alo prefer one that has free exporters for 3ds and has no licencing constraints.

Advertisement
Although it isn't ready yet, DirectMesh v1.1 will offer the following features:

- Skeletal animation (bones, instead of keyframes)
- Morph Targets
- Multiple meshes in one model (aka subsets)
- Animation blending
- File compression using zLib

And yes, it will come with an exporter for 3ds Max (one that works [wink]). It's completely open-source, and has no licensing restrictions whatsoever. ETA is 1 to 1.5 months.

I wrote a group of tutorials that cover writing the exporter for 3dsmax and getting bones into the engine: tuts

Also checkout x files. the irrlicht (sp?) engine uses x files for both opengl and dx9 apis. I like the idea of using x files because you don't need to write an exporter for max/maya. just focus on importing. i think that is what you might be looking for.

btw, direct mesh is a great option as well. would be nice to see more folks get on that bandwagon, move that proj to sourceforge and just see everyone contribute to that.

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.emotionfx.com

But it isn't free, more focussed on commercial games :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!