OpenGL version

Started by
4 comments, last by Cypher19 19 years, 6 months ago
Is there that much of a difference between programming in different versions of OpenGL? I have a Geforce FX 5600 and it only supports up to 1.4, and I am starting to get into OpenGL programming. I was just curious.
Until Then, I Remain,Brandon
Advertisement
Once you move beyond 1.1 you will have to learn to load extensions but dont expect to reach that point for awhile. Once you do however it wont be much diffrent. Here is one of the best (if not the best) opengl tutorial on the net:
NeHe They have tutorials that axplain how to load extensions when you reach that point along with the basics.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
First, the reason your FX only supports 1.4 is because you need to update your drivers.

Generally, with Windows you will always code for 1.1 with extensions. You can code for other versions on other platforms, but most people stick to coding 1.1 and extensions. It's a good common denominator to work with.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Or you can use a library such as GLEW that hides the fact that you're using extensions.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
I like GLee a lot as extensions loading system, and it's done by our very own moderator, benjamin bunny.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
"glew" and "glee"? Christ, OpenGL can get some odd names attached to it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement