• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xyz

scheme and lisp...

This topic is 5460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Are there any significant syntatical differences beteween Common Lisp and Scheme? Thanks

Advertisement
Comparing Scheme to Common Lisp is very similar to comparing Java to C: They kinda look the same if you don't know anything about either, but that is as far as the similarity goes.

They have the same syntax on the most basic of levels, but they are two completely different languages.

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
They have the same syntax on the most basic of levels, but they are two completely different languages.

I took a glance at Scheme macros, but I didn't 'get' how they worked. Are they in the end anything like Lisp macros?

Quote:
Original post by Diodor
Quote:
Original post by Extrarius

I took a glance at Scheme macros, but I didn't 'get' how they worked. Are they in the end anything like Lisp macros?
I don't really know enough about scheme to help, but I do remeber seeing a HUGE newsgroup thread about them a while back. Try googling groups.google for it on comp.lang.lisp

Plt Strikes again

The main difference between Scheme syntax extensions and Common Lisp macros are how they handle variable capture. Scheme protects against variable capture (hygienic-macros). Common Lisp offers the option to capture external variables if you so choose (99% of the time you don't).

Variable capture is when you write a macro that binds something to an identifier -but the identifier is already in use by the enclosing scope.

Paul Graham's book, On Lisp (pdf) describes Common Lisp macros in great detail. Scheme Syntactic Extensions are described here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!