scheme and lisp...

Started by
5 comments, last by flangazor 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, Are there any significant syntatical differences beteween Common Lisp and Scheme? Thanks
Advertisement
i believe scheme is a subset of Lisp.
subset in that it does not have all of the functions of Lisp.
edit: streamlined, if you will
edit2: Differences of Scheme and Lisp

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This was recently asked on the PLT Scheme mailing list.
Discussion Thread View

gl hf
Comparing Scheme to Common Lisp is very similar to comparing Java to C: They kinda look the same if you don't know anything about either, but that is as far as the similarity goes.

They have the same syntax on the most basic of levels, but they are two completely different languages.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
They have the same syntax on the most basic of levels, but they are two completely different languages.

I took a glance at Scheme macros, but I didn't 'get' how they worked. Are they in the end anything like Lisp macros?
Quote:Original post by Diodor
Quote:Original post by Extrarius

I took a glance at Scheme macros, but I didn't 'get' how they worked. Are they in the end anything like Lisp macros?
I don't really know enough about scheme to help, but I do remeber seeing a HUGE newsgroup thread about them a while back. Try googling groups.google for it on comp.lang.lisp
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Plt Strikes again

The main difference between Scheme syntax extensions and Common Lisp macros are how they handle variable capture. Scheme protects against variable capture (hygienic-macros). Common Lisp offers the option to capture external variables if you so choose (99% of the time you don't).

Variable capture is when you write a macro that binds something to an identifier -but the identifier is already in use by the enclosing scope.

Paul Graham's book, On Lisp (pdf) describes Common Lisp macros in great detail. Scheme Syntactic Extensions are described here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement